free website stats program Primary Sealing: Tips and Tricks? | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary Sealing: Tips and Tricks?

RibEye

I've got an '03 RKC with a leaky mainshaft seal in the primary. I have just about researched enough to be dangerous. However, I'm concerned about sealing the primary bolts behind the clutch. From what I read, you need to glop on some RTV, on the bolts and in the bolt holes. It sounds kind of iffy to me. I won't want to have to go back in to re-do. Are there tricks to prep and application of the sealing material, to ensure good success?

I intend to do all the seals I can get to: primary mainshaft, shifter shaft, tranny mainshaft. I am also thinking about replacing the mmainshaft bearing in the primary with the high-torque one from Barnett, which does not require a pressed on inner race for the shaft. Just seems like a good way to go.

Any thought gents?

Enjoy,
Rich P

Well, me i put plenty of black rtv on primary bolts / threads & wipe off any extra. seal replacement good idea. bearing sounds good too.

I am glad you asked this question. I am trying to stop some seepage from from front shaft seal too.

I use hylomar its a semi setting gasket i put some in the bolt holes in the inner primary and some on the back of the lock washers so far it seems to be oil tight been over a year now

Brian

Back