free website stats program Primary Seal Leaking | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary Seal Leaking

Gezzer Glide

Contributor
Hello everyone. Been awhile since I last posted anything, been playing on a sportster forum. Now I am having issues with my FLHT. The primary seal is leaking. I replaced it once with the HD upgraded seal and it still leaks. I read somewhere that if the bearing inner race moves back that could cause the seal to leak, I don't know how since the seal is still on the inner race. Of course my bearing inner race has moved all the way back. There's no way to get a puller behind to pull it off. My question is, does anyone have away of pulling this race off?
IMG_1257_1.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Get your dremmel tool out and some metal cutting discs. Take the dremmel tool and start to cut a groove as straight as you can across the top of the race. Cut til you are uncomfortable with how close you are getting to the shaft. Use a pump jack to support the shaft from the bottom and take a chisel that is just wider at the tip than the groove you cut, in another words it doesn't bottom out in the groove. Give it a sharp whack with a hammer. It will split. It is very hard and cracks very easy. I suggest the S&S tapered race. You dont have to get all the way to the back either, just get a as close as you can without damaging anything.

Jack, have you used this for this application? Doesn't look like all that will fit. And what is it called?

Bodeen, Thanks. I have heard about that method before. Thanks for the S&S tip.

Jack, have you used this for this application? Doesn't look like all that will fit. And what is it called?

Bodeen, Thanks. I have heard about that method before. Thanks for the S&S tip.

Yup, it is a bearing splitter, I have pulled many tough bearings and races, I have 2 sizes large and medium

Couple of comments. First, the drive sprocket will come off over the race, and once removed, you have a lot more room to work. Second, HD sells a tool specifically for removing/installing that race. It is rather pricey, but there is an eBay seller (Whoya Products I think) that sells a serviceable alternative at a much more reasonable price. I bought one this winter and was very pleased with it. I would not choose that version if if was making my living wrenching bikes, but for the hobbyist, it is more than sufficient. Lastly, are you sure that it is the primary seal that is leaking and not the transmission seal? Good luck.

I have used the technique that Bodeen described in the past but used a small drill bit and created a line of dots and joined the dots with a cold chisel which created a split in the bearing again care has to be taken not to drill too deep

Brian

I am sure the leak is coming from the primary because I can see a stream of oil running down the back side of the primary from the oil seal. And I'm about 8ozs low in oil. Thanks for all the help and ideas. I will let you know how it all turns out.

Back