free website stats program primary removal | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

primary removal

Hoople; The touring uses 5.95" length. Softails and Dyna's are different because of the primary case length. I borrowed one that a guy made. he took 2 pieces of 4 1/2" x 1" stock, beveled 1 end on each, then cut a slot in the middle of them. A bolt goes through the slot, makes them adjustable for both touring and softails.

Last edited:
You wouldn't be so kind as to give out the dimensions would ya?:D

I can measure it up today if you want .. the 5 speed use a different bar than the 6 speed bikes different lengths .. and the touring is different than the dyna or ST if i remember right

Hoople; The touring uses 5.95" length. Softails and Dyna's are different because of the primary case length. I borrowed one that a guy made. he took 2 pieces of 4 1/2" x 1" stock, beveled 1 end on each, then cut a slot in the middle of them. A bolt goes through the slot, makes them adjustable for both touring and softails.

Quoted from a previous thread:
"1/4 inch barstock, 1 inch wide X 5 7/8 inch long with a radius on both ends to fit between the sprocket teeth."

My home made unit, 1 x 1/4 mild steel flat bar, ended up being 6 inches long and just fit on an 07 Roadking. The suggest 5 and 7/8 inch, or 5 and 15/16 would have fit real well. Touring model.

I can measure it up today if you want .. the 5 speed use a different bar than the 6 speed bikes different lengths .. and the touring is different than the dyna or ST if i remember right

Thanks Bud, but I see now that your dimensions are different than the one I need for my Dyna. I will hunt down the size I need. Tks for the offer.!

Quoted from a previous thread:
"1/4 inch barstock, 1 inch wide X 5 7/8 inch long with a radius on both ends to fit between the sprocket teeth."

My home made unit, 1 x 1/4 mild steel flat bar, ended up being 6 inches long and just fit on an 07 Roadking. The suggest 5 and 7/8 inch, or 5 and 15/16 would have fit real well. Touring model.

Did you bevel only 1 side of each end of the bar? (opposing sides).

Last edited by a moderator:
A buddy had access to some machine tools and rounded each end of the bar to a 1/8 radius to finish in a half circle. That fit nicely to the sprocket teeth on each side. He mentioned the trick was to keep the ends square to the bar. I know that would have been challenging for me with hand tools.

I’ve also read somewhere the touring primary was a little shorter compared to Dyna. Perhaps the shifter shaft location difference maybe??!!

Knew I had it somewhere:D

PrimaryLockingTool.jpg

Back