free website stats program primary removal for shifter on spline? help plz | Harley Davidson Forums

primary removal for shifter on spline? help plz

thornado3

My shifter on spline out of tranny is stripped ( I Hope) and trying to figure out all that needs to be done to get to it. Does the the WHOLE primary really have to be taken off just to replace this???????? I have a little know how and I just don't want to screw anything up. Is there anything I have to be really careful on or just take it all off and replace part and just put it all back together? By doing it right I do know it needs new parts inside primary like washers, gaskets and stuff but is there anything major that need to pay attention to as far as replacing sprockets and such? I would really appreciate any and all help. Thanks to anyone and everyone that responds

My shifter on spline out of tranny is stripped ( I Hope) and trying to figure out all that needs to be done to get to it. Does the the WHOLE primary really have to be taken off just to replace this???????? I have a little know how and I just don't want to screw anything up. Is there anything I have to be really careful on or just take it all off and replace part and just put it all back together? By doing it right I do know it needs new parts inside primary like washers, gaskets and stuff but is there anything major that need to pay attention to as far as replacing sprockets and such? I would really appreciate any and all help. Thanks to anyone and everyone that responds

Yes and No. To replace the shift lever in kind, the whole primary does have to come off. But, there is a different option:

Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Back