free website stats program Primary Question please help??? | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary Question please help???

I changed the oil in my primary. I have a 2007 street glide. The book says it hold's 38 ounces when doing a wet clutch service. That means just drain and refill. I did exactly what the book said and had the bike resting straight up. But when I filled it it only took one quart and the oil was just touching the bottom of the clutch basket. So I didn't put the extra six ounces. I don't mean to be so critical but I don't want to hurt the clutch and this is my first Harley and I don't know a whole lot about the clutch service. I read a lot of posts in the oil section and it seems if the oil is touching the basket that all it needs. So am I OK or do I need to add more oil??? Thanks for the help. Oh ya by the way I used mobil1 synthetic 75-140.

Only fill it to the bottom of the clutch basket with the bike straight up. It really should take the 38 ounces in any event.

I changed the oil in my primary. I have a 2007 street glide. The book says it hold's 38 ounces when doing a wet clutch service. That means just drain and refill. I did exactly what the book said and had the bike resting straight up. But when I filled it it only took one quart and the oil was just touching the bottom of the clutch basket. So I didn't put the extra six ounces. I don't mean to be so critical but I don't want to hurt the clutch and this is my first Harley and I don't know a whole lot about the clutch service. I read a lot of posts in the oil section and it seems if the oil is touching the basket that all it needs. So am I OK or do I need to add more oil??? Thanks for the help. Oh ya by the way I used mobil1 synthetic 75-140.

should be fine ..did mine tonight and it only took 1 quart to reach the basket also .. same last time i did it ..

Just wondering how much metal was on the magnet on yours? was the only thing i saw any metal on .. i changed all 3 holes tonihgt

I also changed all three holes. There was slight metal on the engine and transmission. I would definitely call it normal. The primary didn't have much on it. But I put 75-90 mobil1 synthetic. I ran it for 44 miles and decided to change it tonight to 75-140 mobil1. I'm sure it would be fine but just wanted the extra viscosity due to heat of Florida. When I drained it the oil was spotless but I did get some metal shavings in the pan. But I would say it was still normal. But I am still concerned only putting 32ounces in the primary. But the oil was on the clutch with the bike straight up. I just couldn't see adding more if that's the procedure to go by. However I am only talking six ounces of primary oil don't think that's a big deal. The good news I installed my new Renegade 21" front wheel and I love the bling!!!!

I have 2500 on my 09 RK. Changed it at 500 after a hot day practicing the friction zone. Had a strange smell, thought it might be my rotor but it works fine so all went well. One qt Formula +put mine at the bottom of the clutch pack. Had dealer do the 1000 mile service just so it was documented and they supposedly checked a ton of stuff on a checklist. I just did an oil change on all 3 holes and again it took only one qt Formula + to have the level at bottom of clutch pack.

I used Mobile 1 V twin like Glider recommends in the crankcase. I used Redline w/shockproof in the tranny. Second time as I asked the dealer to use that at my 1000 service. After the dealer service the tranny shifted just like new (clunk, clunk). I went up in the mountains after the oil change this past weekend and it shifted so smoothly I wasn't sure it was the same bike. Of course I still get the first gear clunk from neutral and wind down whine downshifting into first while the bike is coming to a stop.

Now if I can just figure out how to do an 8 ft radius "U" turn, I'll be a happy camper. I watched the "motorman's" u-tube snippet and was blown away by that 90 lb chick whipping that ultra around like it was a Honda 50!

I have 2500 on my 09 RK. Changed it at 500 after a hot day practicing the friction zone. Had a strange smell, thought it might be my rotor but it works fine so all went well. One qt Formula +put mine at the bottom of the clutch pack. Had dealer do the 1000 mile service just so it was documented and they supposedly checked a ton of stuff on a checklist. I just did an oil change on all 3 holes and again it took only one qt Formula + to have the level at bottom of clutch pack.

I used Mobile 1 V twin like Glider recommends in the crankcase. I used Redline w/shockproof in the tranny. Second time as I asked the dealer to use that at my 1000 service. After the dealer service the tranny shifted just like new (clunk, clunk). I went up in the mountains after the oil change this past weekend and it shifted so smoothly I wasn't sure it was the same bike. Of course I still get the first gear clunk from neutral and wind down whine downshifting into first while the bike is coming to a stop.

Now if I can just figure out how to do an 8 ft radius "U" turn, I'll be a happy camper. I watched the "motorman's" u-tube snippet and was blown away by that 90 lb chick whipping that ultra around like it was a Honda 50!

Not to change the post. But I'm with ya larryJ. Feathering the clutch and using the back brake takes alot of practice. Did I say alot. I mean alot of practice. I seen some police training videos that blew me away. I can't practice enough. Just DON'T :wallhit the front brake with the wheel turned. :small3d023:

I have 2500 on my 09 RK. Changed it at 500 after a hot day practicing the friction zone. Had a strange smell, thought it might be my rotor but it works fine so all went well.

Practicing that for any time will overheat the clutch pack and burn the primary oil. He teaches that with little concern for the bike itself. Look at the videos of the police bikes and the condition of them when they are done. While in theory the practice may improve slow speed handling it is very hard on the bike.

I must take slow riding for granted. I grew up on a bike since I was four. I didn't stop until I was old enough for my drivers license. So I have been on a bike a lot in my life. The friction zone thing was just natural to me. But I need to practice emergency stopping. God forbid I need it!!!!

Practicing that for any time will overheat the clutch pack and burn the primary oil. He teaches that with little concern for the bike itself. Look at the videos of the police bikes and the condition of them when they are done. While in theory the practice may improve slow speed handling it is very hard on the bike.

Thanks for the good advice Glider. When I pratice, I do the slow clutch thing for about 15 minutes at a time. I also change all three holes at the same time usually around 2000 miles. It might be overkill, but I feel better knowing all three holes have been changed and I'm good to go another 2000 miles or so. I did not notice the condition of their bikes after, but I'll take your word.

Back