free website stats program primary problem | Harley Davidson Forums

primary problem

rjw922

I noticed lately that the oil drip from my primary case is getting less, so I went to remove the inspection cover to check fluid level. First problem, appears to be glued on with silicone sealant and can't get it to move. Would the next option be to remove the complete cover and get at the inspection cover from the backside. Second problem is that the drain plug is non-existant. My thinking there was to drain it and refill with correct amount, the only plug that I can find on that side is on top of the primary chaincase just back from the starter. My HD service manual is no help. Any input would be appreciated.

Even if it is glued on once the bolts are removed, you should be able to use something to pop it loose.

Look at the bottom of the primary for a drain bolt. Not all LOOK like a drain bolt, some look just like another mounting bolt but the seat behind it is a bit different being broader and flatter than the other mount bolts.

Thanks Glider
I figured it would pry off and now my kershaw is .250 shorter. Tried a small screw driver but couldnt get any movement. I didn't want to get too aggressive for the sake of the chrome. There is one cap srcew at the bottom of the case that is differant. If it is the drain and the cover still won't come off where would it be refilled. I plan on resealing the case this winter and was hoping not to before then.

Update, just watched the video and that would be my drain plug. Will try to get the cover off to check the chain adjustment. I think I'll take the 40 mile ride for new gaskets first.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
You could refill it through the chain inspection cover but you would need to use an exact measurement for your bike doing this as opposed to filling to the bottom of the basket.

If you have a leak, why not just go get a gasket pull the case off, figure out why your inspection cover won't come off and cure all your issues at once. Shouldn't be more than a 1 hour job.

Back