primary plug

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by chuck60, Mar 12, 2012.

1. chuck60

chuck60 Active Member

Yesterday I changed my primary fluid and on the tip of the plug there was a small pile of what looked like metal dust, it was real mushy, It's the second change in 2000 miles, I changed it because I seem to have a noisy transmission all of witch I am told (by dealer ) it is normal noise. The bike is a 2012 street glide, I have had 2 road kings and a ultra all of witch I don't remember having a pile of metal dust on the tip. Is this something to worry about or is it normal break in stuff.( This is the first bike I have done the fluids on before the 2 year warranty is up ).

2. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

A little "fuzz" on the end of the plug is normal. Specially true on a brand new bike. The clutch is just getting broke in good.

3. brownfoxx1

brownfoxx1 Active Member

buy a extra plug, then if you find this situation or worse you can save it in a plastic bag & go to the local bike shop & dealer for eval. just talking.
    roll on and throttle-up.

4. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

You're going to see that on primary & tranny plugs (magnet on end) and sounds like yours is perfectly normal. Now if you have large metal shavings...there's a problem, but primary & tranny have lots of clashing metal parts so there will be a little gunk/sludge every change.

5. Jeff Klarich

Jeff Klarich Well-Known Member Contributor

I just changed mine and had the same thing, a little is normal a lot is baddddd!

6. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

When the bike is new there are a lot of sharp edges on the sprockets inside the primary when rubbed against by the chain tiny particles of metal will be shaved off and collect as a fuzz on the magnetic plug
    when the bike is fully broke in the amount of fuzz should reduce but there is always wear so there will always be a wee bit of fuzz

Brian

7. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

As the clutch and chain slowly wear in expect a bit of fuzz on the magnet, any large pieces I would be concerned. As your clutch wears in the sludge on the magnet will reside