free website stats program Primary Plug Drip | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary Plug Drip

TQuentin1

Staff member
So after changing my starter,I realized I didnt have the Redline Primary Oil I like,so I used what I had on hand till I got to my supplier.Now my drain plug has developed a leak.I used teflon tape,I know the plug is tapered and I think it is in as far as I should attempt to screw it in,but it doesnt really feel tight.Should I keep turning it till it feels tight or should I get the tape off?Or is it time to get a new plug?

Eyeball the primary cover carefully and make sure it is not cracked around the drain plug hole. If not, try reinstalling the drain plug with TWO wraps of teflon tape very snug on the plug. Thread the plug in so that it is slightly further then flush. Your book should have the spec on that.

See if that works.

TQ

As long as the hole and threads have not damaged by previous excess aggression, simply screwing in to the proper position/depth will be sufficient. Don't worry. It won't work out, if done right. Instead of tape, I use Loctite 565 thread sealant. As you screw it in, it will never feel "tight" like other bolts/screws. It will get significantly beyond finger-tight though.

Please note that the drain screw is pretty much the lowest point, by design. Just because it is dripping from there, does not necessitate that the leak is there. The leak could be elsewhere, above and behind, and it will still drip off at the drain screw. Since you just replaced the starter, I would make sure that the associated seal is good, as well as the seals for the clutch shaft, primary mounting bolts, etc. Feel around behind the lower part of the inner primary, behind and above the primary drain plug. See if that area is dry or wet.

Enjoy,
Rich P

The manual gives no info on that plug at all.There are torque specs for the oil plug and tranny plug,but that one it just says to "replace".When I replaced the primary cover,the gasket looked fine,but I did use a bit of a "liquid gasket" as a precaution as well.Everything is dry,it does seem to be the plug itself leaking.I can see the hollow space in the holw is filled with oil.I would think if it were the seam dripping to the low point at the drain,it wouldnt flow back up into the drain plug.I'll try turning it in a couple more turns,right now there is about 1/16+ of thread showing between the outer case and the bottom of the drain plug.

Try not to bottom it out against the clutch hub. I have used brush on teflon with good results. You can get it at Napa it is made by Permatex:s

The manual gives no info on that plug at all.There are torque specs for the oil plug and tranny plug,but that one it just says to "replace".When I replaced the primary cover,the gasket looked fine,but I did use a bit of a "liquid gasket" as a precaution as well.Everything is dry,it does seem to be the plug itself leaking.I can see the hollow space in the holw is filled with oil.I would think if it were the seam dripping to the low point at the drain,it wouldnt flow back up into the drain plug.I'll try turning it in a couple more turns,right now there is about 1/16+ of thread showing between the outer case and the bottom of the drain plug.

You'll usually find what you are looking for in the proper section of the self help area...

Harley Davidson Community

Back