free website stats program primary oil | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

primary oil

hey folks just changed oil in all 3 holes. used sync spectro primary oil in the primary case, thought i was doing a good thing. now i read on other forums anything from no good to the best stuff on earth. oponions please. thanks in advance.

You'll be fine, I've used it for over a decade in various motorcycles along with Royal Purple, Redline and Amsoil. One mans great oil will be liquid dirt to another.

Tank, are you sure about the Mobil1? I'll be the first to admit that I don't understand all I know about oils but the last bottle of Mobil1 that I looked at only had a JASO MA rating. Is that different or just a different way of sayin the same thing?

If you used Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase Oil, this is a very good choice for your Primary chaincase fluid. Here is their info:

This sheer stable petroleum is designed to withstand the punishment of high loads, and contains special polymers to provide exceptional clutch engagement and temperature stability. Meets full OEM requirements, and should be used according to manufacturer’s instructions. Formulated specifically for Harley® Sportster and Big Twin applications. Low drag, low friction loss SAE 85w viscosity eliminates clutch “drag” and slipping.

TQ

what exactly is clutch "drag"?

What he was saying is, its a great oil, great price, readily available that a lot of folks use everyday with great success. Just probably not a great choice for your primary.

what exactly is clutch "drag"?

There is no single cause of a sticking clutch. Some more common reasons for a sticking clutch are:
- Clutch controls are improperly adjusted. Clutch cable is collapsing.
- Clutch spring tension is to tight, spring binding.
- Too heavy an oil has been used in the clutch. A thick viscosity oil can cause the plates to stick, especially when cold.
- Clutch oil is 'worn out' or burnt. The oil has been in the clutch to long, clutch plate wear is excessive causing slippage, or a driving style that slips the clutch. Changing the oil in a clutch often improves the situation.
- Clutch plates are warped. Friction plates or metal plates may be warped.
- Improper adjustment on primary drive chain/belt.
The wrong type and or weight of the oil will be a big factor here

There is no single cause of a sticking clutch. Some more common reasons for a sticking clutch are:
- Clutch controls are improperly adjusted. Clutch cable is collapsing.
- Clutch spring tension is to tight, spring binding.
- Too heavy an oil has been used in the clutch. A thick viscosity oil can cause the plates to stick, especially when cold.
- Clutch oil is 'worn out' or burnt. The oil has been in the clutch to long, clutch plate wear is excessive causing slippage, or a driving style that slips the clutch. Changing the oil in a clutch often improves the situation.
- Clutch plates are warped. Friction plates or metal plates may be warped.
- Improper adjustment on primary drive chain/belt.
The wrong type and or weight of the oil will be a big factor here

so its pretty much the clutch not fully disengaging? if you have changed primary fluid,adjust the clutch,installed a new barnett clutch cable adjust the primary chain and you still have drag....most likely one of the plates is warped?

so its pretty much the clutch not fully disengaging? if you have changed primary fluid,adjust the clutch,installed a new barnett clutch cable adjust the primary chain and you still have drag....most likely one of the plates is warped?

Could be a warped pressure plate, ball ramp release worn and or release bearing bad also

Back