free website stats program primary oil | Harley Davidson Forums

primary oil

hey folks just changed oil in all 3 holes. used sync spectro primary oil in the primary case, thought i was doing a good thing. now i read on other forums anything from no good to the best stuff on earth. oponions please. thanks in advance.

I've always felt comfortable changing brands as long as they were popular choices here in this forum. IMHO as long as you don't get radical in your thinking/selections you'll be fine. Just some people have better luck with some brands more than others and this could be for several reasons ie climate, driving style to name a few. Tank is dead on about oil threads.

I have used spectro 6 speed transmission fluid but not the primary. Using the transmission fluid for the past four years. I like the product I have used. You can tell the difference in my opinion. I just bought a 2013 Heritage and I just bought some spectro. Just do your own research because there are many different choices in the market.

Been using Amsoil 20W50 in the Engine & Primary and Amsoil Severe Gear 75W140 in the Tranny for quite a while now with fine results .. Used to use Formula+ in the Primary but one time Changing all fluids was out of Formula+ and Decided to try the extra quart of 20W50 I had on hand and worked just as well if not better ..

Been using Amsoil 20W50 in the Engine & Primary and Amsoil Severe Gear 75W140 in the Tranny for quite a while now with fine results .. Used to use Formula+ in the Primary but one time Changing all fluids was out of Formula+ and Decided to try the extra quart of 20W50 I had on hand and worked just as well if not better ..

The manual says if you can't use HD Primary oil then regular engine oil is ok.
Sounds like your Amsoil is working out. I would guess then that Mobil 1 engine oil would be ok as well?

Take care,
Dave

hey folks just changed oil in all 3 holes. used sync spectro primary oil in the primary case, thought i was doing a good thing. now i read on other forums anything from no good to the best stuff on earth. oponions please. thanks in advance.

If you used Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase Oil, this is a very good choice for your Primary chaincase fluid. Here is their info:

This sheer stable petroleum is designed to withstand the punishment of high loads, and contains special polymers to provide exceptional clutch engagement and temperature stability. Meets full OEM requirements, and should be used according to manufacturer’s instructions. Formulated specifically for Harley® Sportster and Big Twin applications. Low drag, low friction loss SAE 85w viscosity eliminates clutch “drag” and slipping.

TQ

The correct Spectro for the hole its going in is going to be hard to beat. I would use more of their products but its too hard to find around here.

thanks guys, the only reason i am using spectro primary oil is because i want to run the proper lubricant for that unit. hence: spectro primary]. i am using amsoil 20/50 in motor and 75/140 in trans. everything good. ride safe.

Dave,
Nearly every motorcycle "engine" oil will be rated JASO MA2 and therefore will not only work in the engine but also be fine in the primary. If the Mobil 1 you are referring to is Mobil 1 V -Twin then yes it has a JASO MA2 rating.

Cool. Thank you.

Take care,
Dave

Back