free website stats program Primary Oil Smell? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary Oil Smell?

If you have done your work yourself in the past, you will recognize the smell of your primary chain case fluid whatever you are using. If not sure, open a new bottle of the fluid you use and do a sniff test of both.

Based on my own experience with stators frying and burning the oil (about 3-4 in the last five years - two different bikes) it is unmistakable. It will just smell burnt. When you dump the fluid it will be pretty black. Since you are under warranty, take it in and have them check it out. If they say it is the stator burning some coils, and they say they are going to replace it, ask them if they shouldn't replace the voltage regulator too. On my bikes, the VRs either crapped out a the same time or shortly after the stators fried.

TQ

are you running Formula + I notice a smell when I ran that.

I just bought the bike with 2200 miles on it so I have no idea what's in the primary. I can only hope the previous owner had the first service done. I'm just gonna change it and put HD primary oil in it. Is there any way to tell if the first service was done by checking the VIN numbers?

Your dealer should be able to reference the VIN in his computer and tell if it was done at the dealers.

Back