free website stats program Primary oil low | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary oil low

Mavagrand

While changing out all the fluids on my bike in preparation for vacation in August, I discovered I only drained appx 32 oz of fluid out of my primary. Now about 3000 miles ago, I had her in the shop and got the SE compensator installed. They had to remove the inner primary, so I am assuming ALL of the primary oil need to be replaced which would be 48 oz. Manual calls for 38oz replace wet and 48 oz if completely dry. Well I was concerned when only 32 oz drained out. It took about 40z to get the level of oil just at the bottom of the basket. My question, do you guys think I hurt anything for the 3k she ran a little low? The bike has no issues, she runs/shifts fine. By the way the drain plug was covered with a gray paste (didn't see any shavings or slivers). could this gray paste like stuff be finely ground shavings?? this is the only thing that concerns me as my primary has never looked like this. thanx for responses.
she is an 08 FLHTC with 21k, completely stock except for the SE compensator.

You should be OK with the 32 till you serviced it with the proper amount without any damage. The color you are seeing is from the clutch lining wear.

I would say you have nothing to worry about. As long as the bottom pass of the chain is in oil, the sling would be plenty.

I bet you could really find neutral easy with the level a little low.:p

Thanx for the quick response guys. I can tell you, I'm never letting anyone else work on my bike..this is a lesson learned.
Glider, does this clutch wear mean I need to adjust my clutch?

This is exactly why it's best to do your own services, at least you KNOW it was serviced and done right too.

Back