free website stats program Primary Oil Leak | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary Oil Leak

Michaelzz28

After 4522 mile trip to Yellowstone and Sturgis I got off the scoot and went into the house glad to be home the other day I felt bad for the scoot so I went out to visit and found a good sized puddle of oil under it so being the way I am I looked into it and found this:

what causes this to happen never had any problems or sounds occurring never seen a 5th gear crack before.

Any Ideas?

what is my next move?
jump to a six speed find a new 5th gear tell me what direction you would go

thanks
:31:

Attachments

• 100_0607.jpg
    100_0607.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 70
After 4522 mile trip to Yellowstone and Sturgis I got off the scoot and went into the house glad to be home the other day I felt bad for the scoot so I went out to visit and found a good sized puddle of oil under it so being the way I am I looked into it and found this:

what causes this to happen never had any problems or sounds occurring never seen a 5th gear crack before.

Any Ideas?

what is my next move?
jump to a six speed find a new 5th gear tell me what direction you would go

thanks
:31:

Ouch, I would opt for the 6 speed and might as well put the auto tensioner in at the same time less worries and I thimk you will like 6th gear JMO

WOW! Remarkably simillar to the problem I had with my SE 6-spd. See here:

Damaged SE 6-spd tranny parts

Slightly different situation, but unsettling that both your problem and mine involve the pully shaft drive gear.

I would start with HD to see if they will do anything about it. To me, that is clearly a manufacturing defect. But it is a seven year old tranny. So they might say, "they all do that"!!

Make sure you call the mother ship and send Customer Service/Satisfaction beaucoup pix of the defect with markup circling the defect.

If you get no satisfaction from HD, then I am afraid you are in for needing to rebuild the tranny. So you have to do some soul searching about your options. Here they are from cheapest to not cheapest:

1. Go through tranny and replace only damaged/wear parts, orings, seals, gaskets, etc.
  2. Revtech builder's kit gearset in 5 or 6-spd
  3. Other third-party builder's gearset (like Ultima, etc.)
  4. Baker DD6 builder's gearset (top-of-the-line to me)
These options assume that your case is OK. Take it off the bike, strip it, clean it us so that it is spotless, and then magna flux the high stress areas to make sure there is not a problem with it. If you find a problem, PM Chopper and discuss the tranny I sent to him. Do the same thing as above with the inner primary.

If the case is good, then the builder's gearset kits are your best options if finances permit. If I had it to do again, I would NOT go with an HD product, but would opt for the Baker kits. To me, the DD6 is your best bet for the long term, particularly if you do a lot of touring.

If your case is shot, and you opt for a replacement assembled tranny, again I think the Baker stuff is top-of-the-line. But you will have to evaluate your options and what fits in the budget.

While you are tearing into stuff, evaluate the condition of your cam chain tensioners. If you still have the original equipment spring-loaded tensioners, consider replacing those with the roller chain conversion, or the gear drive system. The tensioners are another gernade just waiting for the pin-pull.

Let us know how you fair.

TQ

Last edited:
wife thinks I should silcone the crack clean it good put it all back together and get the 2011 street glide we looked at today at the dealer hopefully she will not leak till after the deal is done

I just not fill the transmission all the way up and use some good old stick gear lube

Last edited by a moderator:
Question is ---- Would you want a fellow HD Bro / Sis doing this to you???

No but the Stealer will have a tech take it in and give it a quick check before they make an offer chances are they may find the problem:s

no I wouldn't but I would do it to the stealership in a second. I am sure after a few weeks of it sitting there it start leaking again. It not like there going to give me top dollar for a 2003 softail with 28000 miles on it!

no I wouldn't but I would do it to the stealership in a second. I am sure after a few weeks of it sitting there it start leaking again. It not like there going to give me top dollar for a 2003 softail with 28000 miles on it!

Do the deal, they will fix the bike before they sell it JMO:s

If it's broke then fix it, then if you still want to get rid of it go for it, dishonest is just plain dishonest no matter how you paint it.

Back