free website stats program primary oil leak | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

primary oil leak

lol when you posted put heat on the inside of it......it put me to thinking this morning so i rode it to work 40miles each way and as soon as i got home i slid under it and bam it came loose threads where fine put my new plug in i got from the harley shop on the way home put a quart of H-D primary oil in and i'm in good shape now!the reason i had a slow drip leak was the shop that changed it last did not use any thread selant so thats it in a nutt shell

you know glider i was talking with a friend of mine at work today.he is an older guy that bought his first harley 45 years ago hez a very good harley mech and he said the same thing red loc-tite and i have proof red loc-tite is not a thread selant lol i just got back from a evening ride (30miles or so)felt under the plug still dry as a bone

one more thing glider i went ahead and adjusted the primary chain tensioner it didn't need much prob would have been fine left alone
but is there a way to tell if the chain has streched to far and needs replaceing?i don't think mine needs changes i just wanna know the warning signs

You can tell from the position of the adjuster itself when it nears the end of the adjustment travel.

so pretty much if i go to adjust it and i'm out of adjustment.......put a new chain on it.would you recomend a self adjusting tensioner?

Back