free website stats program primary oil leak | Harley Davidson Forums

primary oil leak

00BUCKSHOT

noticed my bike had alittle oil underneath it got to looking a saw where its coming from...the primary drain plug....so i thought no big deal pull the plug alittle teflon tape and i'm fixed......not that simple the dern plug won't come out!i completly twisted an allen wrench trying to get it out...:wall
i figure i'll end up pulling the primary cover and drill/tap it then i thought i better ask you guys before i do that....please help lol!

When you take the cover off, clean all the the oil off well and heat the plug from the inside. It should come out. If the threads are messed up, get the newer style primary drain plug that looks like a bolt with an "O" ring and tap the hole to accept that one.

thats what i thought thanks a ton!
i'll tackle this project this weekend but untill then i'm gonna ride it lol

Last edited:
I have a similar issue:
I was working on my dad's old bike that has sat for a long time -runs great now except when I start it oil leaks out pretty fast. This stops when the bike is off...

its an '83 superglide
1340 cc shovelhead motor

help??

Last edited:
I have a similar issue:
I was working on my dad's old bike -runs great except when I drive it oil leaks out the primary drain. This doesn't happen when the bike is off...

what should i try doing?

See exactly where the oil is coming from after you clean the area thoroughly and make the appropriate repair.

youngone if you figure out where its coming from the forum could help you allot more
if you don't know the name of the part where you found the leak just take a picture and post it and we'll go from there

Back