free website stats program Primary oil color change HELP | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary oil color change HELP

badge171

On my 2009 street glide last primary oil change I noticed oil was a brown to reddish color ,and there was no change in the fluid level,, the fluid used was Amsoil Synthetic 75-140 I use it in both my primary and trani, I have put about 1000 miles since last change, I rode today and noticed a chatter or vibration at about 52 mph when there was no load on the drive train , as soon as a load was put on chatter disappeared, made me think something to do with primary chain, I did the the gear,, brake adjustment, no help, got home after 200 or so miles checked the primary fluid ,brown red again, Chain seems fairly tight as i can move it with a long screwdriver, I can see the wear puck where the chain sits on it and it is not buried in the puck , so that cant be wore to much, Bike has about 2000 miles since the compensator kicked and broke a ring gear tooth that was caught and chewed the stator,rotor up, But H/D replaced the clutch assembly Stator and rotor to the S/E heavy duty unit, So total maybe 2000-2500 miles since work was done, Any Idea about the red brown color? Clutch plates?? Clutch feels fine .Any Help Greatly appreciated, Should I pull the primary cover off , how would I tell if the plates are defective ? I know if I pull it off the chain will look ok , to my eye anyway,, Thanks again for your help

I also use use the Amsoil severe gear in the trans with no complaints but not in the primary. The gear oil is a syn extreme pressure lube that I dont think is formulated for wet clutches.
Do u notice any clutch slippage from hard starts or hard accel?
From the from reading here, I think the majority of people use HD Formua+
in the primary.

Yes I do understand that was not the best choice, I wont be using it again, No slippage of the clutch, The chatter at 50 mph ,which might be fluid related. It's the discoloration of the fluid has me worried, hate to pull the chain case off replace the crank seal , and find that's not the problem, Any suggestions ??

I'm not sure why its turning red. You are not using any red fluids.? Is your motor oil red? Check the level of your primary oil, if it isnt any higher than when you filled it I wouldnt suspect the crankcase seal.
If this chatter just started or only happened a couple of times, I would just pull covers off and inspect the best possible making sure chain is tensioned properly and everything looks good, then get correct fluid in it and test drive for awhile. Maybe all is good.
Good Luck.

Do you have a SE compensator? If you do, your oil might be turning red from all the fretting that's going on inside the compensator due to poor design and no lubrication.

Do you have a SE compensator? If you do, your oil might be turning red from all the fretting that's going on inside the compensator due to poor design and no lubrication.

MAN,,,, I think GEEZER hit the nail on the head.....

So much talk on this a while back that the geez started...

Good Post...

signed....BUBBIE

S/E compensator was installed , Have to go with tank and try changing to correct fluid and see what happens after some miles, I'll post then,, thanks MUCH for the advise,,

update,Primary oil color

Posted about my primary oil color change a few weeks ago, just an update. I pulled the cover off , wiped down as much as I could. removed the clutch hub spring, checked the clutch plates( there within specs .053) . The only thing I found was the chain tensioner was not tight, and I did the drive,brake adjustment 2 or 3 times prior to pulling apart , took it out and repositioned it to about 1/2 - 3/4 inch play cold. filled with H/D formula lube, noticed right away quieter and less vibration at 60 mph. Just hope the fluid stays clean this time ,the level of the fluid was not up,nor was my oil level down before dis-assembly ,But maybe the seal is bad , just no proof yet. This time I did refill with exactly 38 oz , so next change I plan to see what comes out, Does that make any sense to you all ?

I do think your coloring of the oil is the RUST from the compensator......

DON'T TELL on ME... Others WILL Disagree but....:bigsmiley23:

In my 09 FLHR, I put in A FULL 40 ounces of Redline MTL in the primary... (pink/red in color)

NO Problems with anything....

I always drain it good and add One Quart and Measure out 8 oz. = 40 oz. putting it in Regardless of.......:small3d031:

NOW, I'm Not suggesting You or others do the same...:bigsmiley18:

Just My Way

signed....BUBBIE

Bingo! the fretting will turn the primary red or brown. A common occurrence with the SE compensator. Your primary chain may be too loose if you can move it that much. I just checked my '07 last week, and can't move it off the slipper with a long screwdriver. See self help tips for chain adjustment procedure.

OOPs! I did not notice the dates, I replied to old business.

Last edited:
Back