free website stats program Primary oil change | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary oil change

whetrick1

When changing the oil on my sportster 1200. I know the primary holds a quart of oil. Do you have to pull the derby cover or can you put the oil in through the primary chain inspection cover? It would save me a bunch of time. The owner manual doesn't really tell. This is a 2006 if that helps.

The primary oil is all in the same compartment so whether you use the chain inspection cover or derby cover does not matter
My sportster is a 1993 and does not have a derby cover just a small cover to allow access to the clutch adjuster so I always fill from the chain inspection cover

Brian

om00203.jpg
Above the shifter you can remove this plate to fill the primary:s 2006 Sportster Owner's Manual:Maintenance and Lubrication see this link for proper level checking of fluid, this should also be in your owners manual, you can fill the primary thru the plate above the shifter, but to check the proper level you will have to remove the derby cover

ONCE you have ESTABLISHED the Correct amount that Needs to be put back in to top up where it is checked on the clutch basket to be full
(amount measured by the once when put in) Next time you change, that amount can Just be added and use the little cover for convenience.:s

I use the same gasket on the little door. Wipe ALL oil off the metal and gasket as it will seal just fine... Oil left on the gasket or metal sealing surface Always Wicked a leak for me...

signed....BUBBIE

Back