free website stats program Primary Noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary Noise

tfj21709

I have a 2007 FXDB that just started making a weird sound from the Primary. The only way I can describe it is as a wobble type sound coming from the Primary when idling. If I pull the clutch handle in the sound goes away, when I let the handle back out the sound returns. How can I determine if this is a clutch plate issue or if it is something much larger? Thanks.

I get a whirling sound like that to from time to time. Happened yesterday morn before I took off for a ride, pulled clutch and it went away.
Hate to just say they all do that, but there is stuff spinning around in there!

For me it reminds me to check chain tension and tensioner shoe :D

Try pulling the clutch in and drop her in first gear, if the sound goes away I'm betting it's the tensioner.

I have a 2007 FXDB that just started making a weird sound from the Primary. The only way I can describe it is as a wobble type sound coming from the Primary when idling. If I pull the clutch handle in the sound goes away, when I let the handle back out the sound returns. How can I determine if this is a clutch plate issue or if it is something much larger? Thanks.

When you pull in the clutch and drop into first gear, you stop the primary shaft but the clutch hub keeps spinning. So, if the noise goes away when you disengage the clutch but returns when you engage the clutch, the source us most likely a worn clutch hub bearing.

Back