free website stats program Primary noise | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary noise

Glider, do you think you could cut off some of the end of the spring to shorten it so it doesn't have as much tension on it pushing on the wedge? Bubbie, I think thats my problem also, my bike has 116hp and 113tq. I think when I whack on the throttle the chain gets real tight and the adjuster ratchets itself up to tight. I wish there was a way you could modify it so it could slide back down and release some tension on the chain.

Glider, do you think you could cut off some of the end of the spring to shorten it so it doesn't have as much tension on it pushing on the wedge?

It's not so much the spring but the ratchet assembly. Once it ratchets up, it doesn't release and with the power you have in the big engine it will tighten it up rather snug and stay there.

It's not so much the spring but the ratchet assembly. Once it ratchets up, it doesn't release and with the power you have in the big engine it will tighten it up rather snug and stay there.
Glider, I wonder, could one Lift up on the ratchet (back off pressure) Without taking off the full primary cover?
I just thought ?? a pry of some type to lift inserted at the derby cover??
I never looked but IF there was room, It may be possible.

Maybe a new tool I should make and sell...:newsmile093:

signed....BUBBIE

There's not much room to get in through the derby cover to do anything with the adjuster but I guess if you hold your mouth a certain way and lay on the floor clapping your feet, you may be able to do it.:s

There's not much room to get in through the derby cover to do anything with the adjuster but I guess if you hold your mouth a certain way and lay on the floor clapping your feet, you may be able to do it.:s

Is that what You did when you Invented your Oil Filter Opener...:laugh

Need another picture of it posted please, I want to copy it if you don't mind..

Thanks....

signed....BUBBIE

LOL...thats the same method I used when removing the fuel pump from my RKC fuel tank!!:D

Have you checked to see if the compensator was torqued down. they do come loose and make that type of noise. its best to pull the nut and re torque it with pleanty of red locktite.

Yes, checked torque on comp. it was fine. Primary chain adjuster keeps ratcheting itself to tight and binding up the chain. Going to try a new adjuster made by sohot bikes. It doesn't have teeth on the base or wedge so it can move either way up or down. I would rather have the chain to loose than being to tight.

2000FXDCI.

Think about this....

If every other ratchet slot was covered, (slots same but Spaced out ,,,every other one slotted further apart)
The tightening of the chain would not be a problem as it is now(just Looser)..

Thinking this on HOT BIG builds not for the Stock HD's

MY Thinking that this would make the chain HAVE to loosen More before it tightened... Kinda like this XXXXX=stock ratchet stops then X X X X X= Modified ratchet stops, skipping every other one...

I just put this up for Thought...

The ratchet system is not too good on a big modified motor.. HD didn't design the system for a BIG amount of torque and some of OUR normal modifications can cause a problem..

I have heard that HD modified the system in 2011 models????
Wonder what they did?

Any Truth Here?
(anybody)

signed....BUBBIE

Good point Bubbie, I thought about grinding the teeth off of the base or wedge with a 4" grinder. I still might do it with my stock adjuster once I install my new one.

Back