free website stats program Primary noise | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary noise

Thanks Glider, it's been draining since last night. I am going to pull outer primary and wipe everything down as good as I can then start it up. I wasn't sure if running it with no oil would hurt my stator or burn up the oil seal in the inner primary. Have you ever used a grinder to remove the case material so you can pull off the rotor ? I wanna check and see if the bolts holding my stator in have backed out and are rubbing the rotor.

Thanks Glider, it's been draining since last night. I am going to pull outer primary and wipe everything down as good as I can then start it up. I wasn't sure if running it with no oil would hurt my stator or burn up the oil seal in the inner primary. Have you ever used a grinder to remove the case material so you can pull off the rotor ? I wanna check and see if the bolts holding my stator in have backed out and are rubbing the rotor.

I had to do a bit of grinding when I upgraded to the SE Compensator. No big deal as long as you clean up real good afterwards so none of the filings is hanging around in your primary when you're done.

Removed primary cover last night and found the problem instantly. Primary chain was as tight as a guitar string. Removed automatic adjuster, pulled clutch discs from basket and installed SE clutch kit. Reinstalled auto adjuster and put cover back on. Filled with oil and started up bike, no noise at all and it shifts nicer than ever not even a click when you put it into first. Thanks to everyone for all your help and if you are running a 07 or later bike and you hear a strange whirling noise coming from your primary check that chain!

Strange thing about the auto adjusters is that they make noise when they are too loose and also too tight.

Do you know if anyone is making an aftermarket adjuster that you can adjust manually? I looked at Haydens website and they only go to 2006 model year.

The problem with even thinking about replacing the auto tensioner is the fact that there is no adjustment window in the primary cover to adjust a manual adjuster.

The problem with even thinking about replacing the auto tensioner is the fact that there is no adjustment window in the primary cover to adjust a manual adjuster.

Also the bolting and slide area of the Old style unit is missing on the inner primary.. For me, it would be Too Much Work involved to make it happen and yes like Glider says No door access would mean taking Off the outer primary to adjust the tension IF you did modify it to work the old way..

I do know a fellow with a HOT motor who did modify His but it was a lot of work...
His Problem with auto-matic adjust was with all his HP and TQ, it would Over Tighten and was bad on his bearings.. so he took the time and did the machining necessary to go back OLD..

I'll stick to the New Stock adjuster for now:newsmile036: I'm LZ

signed....BUBBIE

I am not familiar with the auto adjuster and I have a question. Does it work off of pressure and if so is there some type of pressure relief valve? Once it adjust to tighten the chain is there any way for it to readjust itself do loosen the chain?

I am not familiar with the auto adjuster and I have a question. Does it work off of pressure and if so is there some type of pressure relief valve? Once it adjust to tighten the chain is there any way for it to readjust itself do loosen the chain?

Allow me to help you here sir, if you'll check in the self help area you'll find pictures that will explain the operation of the tensioner that is a spring and ratchet type of assembly. :lolrolling

Harley Davidson Community

Nice pictures! Even though I know the self help section is full of great info I appreciate the work that was put forth to help us understand and repair our bikes more effectively. I do spend time going through the catagories to learn and it is amazing.

Back