free website stats program Primary Noise / Hayden m6 ?? | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary Noise / Hayden m6 ??

Doug S

Hi,

I religiously wear earplugs due to tinnitus concerns and recently started not using them in order to listen to the motor. What I discovered was that I have a whirling noise comming from the front-(best I can tell)-of the primary. It sounds almost like a turbo winding up, you can hear it a little in 2nd, more in third, very pronounced in 4th and I can't hear it in 5th. You need to be accelerating rapidly and going up hill makes it louder. The bike came with a Hayden M6 chain tensioner so I have not had to make any chain adjustments but it seems tight to me.

When I push up on the chain the shoe goes up and down, any way to adjust that other than the shims?

How do I know when it is too tight?

Any chance this could be comming from the trans since I don't hear it in 5th no matter how hard I try to make it happen?

Can the compensator make that kind of noise?

Lots of questions, I've had manual adjusters in the past and never an issue so I have no experience. Clutch is adjusted well and I run formula +, changed every 5 or so..

Thanks
D

when you look in the primary inspection cover against the inner primary cover you should see a large nut this nut clamps the primary chain adjuster by loosening the nut you should be able to adjust the height of the shoe this will apply tension to the chain at the tightest area of the chains rotation the chain on the top run should have 5/8 to 7/8 in deflection

Brian

Thanks Brian,

That's the proceedure for a stock primary set up, this thing has a automatic tensioner and I was wondering if there is a way to loosen that up, without taking the outer primary off. If I take that off I'm gonna go back to the stock setup, I don't mind adjusting it once in awhile.

D

Thanks Brian,

That's the proceedure for a stock primary set up, this thing has a automatic tensioner and I was wondering if there is a way to loosen that up, without taking the outer primary off. If I take that off I'm gonna go back to the stock setup, I don't mind adjusting it once in awhile.

D

I have M6 tensioners in both of my bikes - EVO and TC. There is no way to adjust them other than the shims. But get a machinist rule in there and measure to the bottom of the shoe from the base. I think the spec is right around 5/8". See here:

http://www.haydensm6.com/pdf/bt6595.pdf

Unless you measure 3/4" or more, I would NOT open up the Primary until you had another reason to do so. But check the condition of the shoe - that might be your reason!!

I have never had to use shims on my installations.

TQ

"...a whirling noise comming from the front-(best I can tell)-of the primary. It sounds almost like a turbo winding up, you can hear it a little in 2nd, more in third, very pronounced in 4th and I can't hear it in 5th. You need to be accelerating rapidly and going up hill makes it louder..."
Doug,
Could it be your secondary belt making the noise? Does it have a bit of a "chirp" noise to it? Also is louder sometimes if driving in the rain. If the sides of the belt are rubbing the pulleys, it can make a noise similar to what you described. See if any wear rub marks on sides of the belt. A crayon rubbed onto the sides will quiet it down if it is rubbing.
G

Well, I can't pin down where the noise is comming from exactly but it's louder on the left side and it really seems loudest in the front of the primary. The chain tensioner seems to be adjusted correctly, Thing that concerns me is it's loudest in 4th gear and it doesn't make it in 5th gear, even if I try. That kind of points me at the tranny and that's past my comfort zone as far as repairing goes. I changed the tranny oil from 90wt. to 75-140 Spectro I had laying around, no difference at all in the noise and just a tad of metal fuzz on the drain plug, old oil was clear.

Can a compensator make noise, even if it's tight? It seems to be loudest there.

Thanks
D

Well, I can't pin down where the noise is comming from exactly but it's louder on the left side and it really seems loudest in the front of the primary. The chain tensioner seems to be adjusted correctly, Thing that concerns me is it's loudest in 4th gear and it doesn't make it in 5th gear, even if I try. That kind of points me at the tranny and that's past my comfort zone as far as repairing goes. I changed the tranny oil from 90wt. to 75-140 Spectro I had laying around, no difference at all in the noise and just a tad of metal fuzz on the drain plug, old oil was clear.

Can a compensator make noise, even if it's tight? It seems to be loudest there.

Thanks
D

Doug, IF the magnets come loose and slide You may have this going on...

IF MINE i would look at this.. I don't want to get you involved into more work.. IF another member would chime in here and agree/disagree that it MAY/orNOT be the magnets in the Stator (rotor).

Just my thought

about the primary chain IF it is NOT rubbing inside the housing and the spring system for that adjuster is working good, ??? I like at least 1/2" min. to 3/4" max. of looseness. IF TOO tight it will and can make a noise.. I really prefer the old stock system BUT that is Me.

Added..... With Redline Shockproof Heavy , I Never have amy ANY metal on the tranny plug.....
What bothers me is IN the different gears .... the noise.... if magnet it should be there all the time.

signed....BUBBIE

Doug,

just a question and why.

Do you have a very secure way to hold bike off the ground?

If so Could it be SAFELY used to run the bike and go thru the gears to check noise?

Thinking that would allow you a better hands/ears on to diagnose the situation.

I also gave my stator-rotor suggestion more thought and I doubt the noise would change with gear changes like you are experiencing... The noise there should be only affected by the RPM range the engine develops.

I tend to go back to the tranny, shifting different gears makes a change in the noise...
The Belt area check IF too tight, it will make noise
The primary chain... IF you go back to look and change it back to the HD stock system, it may prove productive.

EASY for ME to say haha

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited by a moderator:
If you break down and open up the Primary, check the alignment of the sprockets to make sure the chain is running true.

TQ

Back