Votes: 175 14.7%
  • ATF

Votes: 47 4.0%
  • Doesn't Matter

Votes: 22 1.9%
  • OTHER (Please specify)

Votes: 98 8.3%

• Total voters
I switched the primary oil to Amsoil MCV and adjusted the clutch yesterday and my ride is so much more enjoyable and the primary drive is quieter and I can find neutral easier now ( I think the dealer overfilled it at 1000 mile service) ...:D My ride is great and I am very happy!:bigsmiley8:

Over filling the primary will definitely give you problems finding neutral as well as some excess grinding and clunking when shifting.

I will be using Royal Purple 20W50 for the Engine and Primary and 75/90 for the Tranny when I do the 1000 mile service.

2008 Electra Glide Classic - Vivid Black

I have spent years being a Master Mechanic for both General Motors, Ford and a shop of my own. We have been using synthetic automatic transmission fluid in both street and race cars with no significant problems. They run cooler with better lubrication! My question is... if they work well in cars automatic transmissions, why not Harleys?

Harleys don't have automatic transmissions:D

All kidding aside, the synthetic oils work well in the trans, just not the primary because they can cause slippage on older units with less friction plate thickness. No need for syn oils in the primary, it accomplishes nothing positive.

I will continue to run with the Red Line and will monitor the wear. I am under the impression that clutch plates are cheaper than primary chains and gears. I will update you with any new information.
Thanks again.

07 FLSTC

Well, I submitted, as a novice to letting the dealer replace all oils with SYN3 as "recommended".

I know a guy can go from fossil to syn, but what problems might I encounter if I drain SYN3 and replace with others that have been recommended.

Namely,
Mobil 1 V twin 20w50 crankcase
Redline shockproof heavy for the trans
Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum 75/140 for for 6 speed transmissions

Any other recommendations?

Also what about fuel injector cleaners?

Back