Votes: 175 14.7%
  • ATF

Votes: 47 4.0%
  • Doesn't Matter

Votes: 22 1.9%
  • OTHER (Please specify)

Votes: 98 8.3%

• Total voters

Why does HD recommend all three in the same hole?

Easier for them and by the time any problems crop up from the syn 3, your warranty will be over.

Do most of you change fluids every 5k on oil and 10k on others?
I do all 3 at 2500 to 3000 , overkill? You bet!. It's only two extra quarts, hardly enough to worry about.

Why does HD recommend all three in the same hole?

Easier for them and by the time any problems crop up from the syn 3, your warranty will be over.

Do most of you change fluids every 5k on oil and 10k on others?
I do all 3 at 2500 to 3000 , overkill? You bet!. It's only two extra quarts, hardly enough to worry about.

I use expensive engine oil and still change it every 2500 - 3000. Cheap Insurance if you ask me. I don't care how good the oil is, I don't want it staying in MY bike for 5000 miles. As for the Trans and Primary, Maybe 5000 miles but not lately since I have been trying different trans oils it has been 1000 miles or less.

Hi I just changed to Torco

V-SERIES "ST" MOTOR OILS
V-SERIES "SS" SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL
V-SERIES TRANS LUBE
V-SERIES PRIMARY CHAINCASE LUBRICANT

Has anyone used any of these products?

Hi I just changed to Torco

V-SERIES "ST" MOTOR OILS
V-SERIES "SS" SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL
V-SERIES TRANS LUBE
V-SERIES PRIMARY CHAINCASE LUBRICANT

Has anyone used any of these products?

I haven't heard of this product here in the states.

OK. Here is my two cents worth on fluids for the three major applications we have on our bikes (not including brake/hydraulic clutch fluid):

Engine: Amsoil SAE 20W-50 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil (MCV)
SE 6-spd: Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum 6-speed Transmission Oil
Primary: Spectro Heavy Duty Primary Chaincase Oil

References:

Amsoil: AMSOIL - SAE 20W-50 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil (MCV)
http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf (white paper on MC engine oils)

Spectro: Spectro Oils of America - Transmission Gear Oils
Spectro Oils of America - Transmission Gear Oils

Results to-date:

Engine oil: looks very good, but has darkened up to look about like pancake syrup - 1850 miles
Primary: not opened up yet - 1450 miles
SE 6-spd: still clean red color (about like Big Red! - beautiful) - 1450 miles

Subjective:

Engine "seems" to have quieted down particularly rockers/top end. Changed to the Amsoil about 1850 ago. Prior to that, ran Mob1 VTwin for total of about 8000 miles (oil changes at about 4k miles). Prior to that used HD standard oil for 13,100 (oil changes at about 3k miles).

Changed out the OEM 5-spd to SE 6-speed about 2500 miles ago. Transmission shifting has most significant change. Extremely quiet with very little little "feel" when shifting up or down. This change happened AFTER changing to the Spectro oil. Prior to that change, I ran about 650 miles on Mob1 VTwin, then about 400 miles on Royal Purple 75W140 heavy duty gear oil. On both of these fluids, I could hear and feel the "clunk" when shifting. Not now.

My bike is an '03 UC with 68,000 total miles. Only major mods at this point are SE air filter, SE slip-on mufflers, SE 6-spd, Jagg 10-row oil cooler and an M6 primary chain tensioner.

TQ

Last edited:
I just bought me a jug of redline 20-50,and on the back it says its also good in the primary.

Gunnut,

They all seem to say that these days. Afterall, HD recommends SYN3 in all three. I have done some investigatin' and agree with Glider that engine oil does not belong in the tranny. Need a high pressure gear oil at least GL1 and probably GL5 depending on 5-spd or 6-spd and how you ride your scoot.

I may deviate from Glider some on the primary. What I use may be a synthetic that has been formulated for use in primaries with addatives to control slippage and drag. In my case, the jury is still out on the primary chain case fluid. But I have not noticed any slippage, and my shifting is very smooth (probably more the tranny lube oil though).

TQ

Last edited:
I have been using SYN3 in all three holes, however I am in the process of changing that. I'm going with Spectro Heavy Duty Platinum 75W140 GL-1 for the trans. and Moble1 for the engine. My question is on the primary I was looking at Heavy Duty Primary Oil form Spectro, has anyone had any experience with this in the primary.

Thanks

Back