free website stats program Primary Leak | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary Leak

Turk55

So after replacing my stock starter with a new high torque starter, (because I had some motor work done and raised the compression killing the stock one) I now have a leak. I have removed it twice to make sure that the o-ring had not been damaged (it wasn't) it still leaking :( any ideas?

If the inner primary has been off then it can leak past the bolts between the inner and the gearbox a wee bit of sealant on the washers and the back side of the bolt heads should prevent that leak

Brian

Where is the leak coming from? Clean it up real good with a degreaser and evaluate where exactly it is coming from. Could be tranny.

I've seen the spring come off of the inner seal before too,sometimes if you don't massage it on there just right you can roll the lip on the seal enough to release the spring. :(

Never had inner primary off to date, I know its primary oil that is leaking as I had to refill it twice to get home when I found it was leaking, had someone say that its possible that the inner got cracked if the starter kicked on me?

If you are not sure where the leak is then cleaning the whole area with a degreaser and then take bike for a wee run and then check for the source of the oil may give you a pointer as to where it is getting out at

Brian

Compare the O ring on the new starter and the old starter, do they have the same outer diameter?

As far as O-ring goes, the factory one is smaller in thickness than the one on my new (Spike) starter. Tried cleaning bike and going for short ride but oil getes on everything form wind.

So found leak, seems that when Spike built starter they forgot the seal behind the gear :small3d031:, darn thing letting oil past into starter then out weep hole!

Back