free website stats program primary knock | Harley Davidson Forums

primary knock

carz

heard a knock from the spring loaded compensating sprocket in the primary case any info on thst guys,

heard a knock from the spring loaded compensating sprocket in the primary case any info on thst guys,

I suggest opening up the primary to take a look and make sure that the compensator nut is not backing out. If that happens, you could have a bunch of trouble and cost.

TQ

Compensator sprocket is usually that culpret. Had that problem a few times, if its the case when you repair it make sure you clean all the oil off the nut and shaft, and apply the correct amount and type of loctite with the correct torque to keep from repeating this problem.

thank for all the help guys, i just got done replaceing the stater and when i was taking everything appart the only thing i noticed was the Compensator sprocket was a little pitted in some areas but everything was tight and there was no play in anything.. so im not sure what route to take with this one...

thank for all the help guys, i just got done replaceing the stater and when i was taking everything appart the only thing i noticed was the Compensator sprocket was a little pitted in some areas but everything was tight and there was no play in anything.. so im not sure what route to take with this one...

Not sure why you replaced the stator, but if you had burnt coils, I would suggest replacing the VR too. Unless you have just done that of course. The pattern seems to be that when one goes, the other will follow shortly.

TQ

I agree with TQ. When changing one, change them both. You have a new charging system that will work well together.

Yeah I was changing the primary fluid and I stunk and with further inspection I found the stator coils were black, so I swapped them. And I have the vr on order from j&p cycle.

Glad you found the problem and are changing both the burned stator assembly AND swapping out the voltage regulator. Fully charge the battery before putting it all back together, check the battery voltage after full charge and let it stand for 1 hour. Should be 12.6V after 24 hours not connected to charger.

Back