free website stats program primary issues | Harley Davidson Forums

primary issues

rasputin73

I somehow have a primary that is being sucked dry by the motor. The motor seems to be creating a vacume that is drawing in my primary oil into the motor.

Anybody with any knowledge of this any help would be greatly LOVED!!

I am at a total loss/
Brian

Sounds like the crank seal is bad, but the oil transfer usually goes the other way, the engine oil goes into the primary.

I already did the crank seal one time. I have a friend who is a harley tech and we redid the whole primary once, but for some odd reason the primary oil is being sucked into the motor. Im just wondering if anyone might have had something like this happen to them or knows of a fix. Ive talked to a few local and they said the oil pump might be creating some kind of vacume. Cant fingure it out!

I already did the crank seal one time. I have a friend who is a harley tech and we redid the whole primary once, but for some odd reason the primary oil is being sucked into the motor. Im just wondering if anyone might have had something like this happen to them or knows of a fix. Ive talked to a few local and they said the oil pump might be creating some kind of vacume. Cant fingure it out!

The TOO MUCH oil gets whipped up and hangs around the crank and suction is then drawing it into the motor.... May be the oil pump needs attention for the sumping problem... Also the umbrella valves in the heads, are they working? and also How much compression loss is there from the engine... Leak-down test?....

How Much Over Full Is the motor??? you say it sucks dry so the motor is way over full.....

?????

signed....BUBBIE

Did you drain and replenish the oil to the LOWER Level needed so it has a chance and do Right???

I'd leave a 1/2 quart low on the engine side and try again...

Think I'd pull the motor send it off for a rebuild but thats just me.

Remindz me of the Ole "Don Cruz' dayz when ya got somethng bak without a prob.

Think I'd pull the motor send it off for a rebuild but thats just me.

Remindz me of the Ole "Don Cruz' dayz when ya got somethng bak without a prob.

Seriously? rebuild the motor because of this? thats like saying my plates expired i guess my transmission needs overhauled. research, diagnose and find the problem, fix it and move on.

Seriously? rebuild the motor because of this? thats like saying my plates expired i guess my transmission needs overhauled. research, diagnose and find the problem, fix it and move on.
I have a 1995 flstn/33,000 mil with the same problem, changed seal did it again. have been looking for awhile for answer. best so far is screws that hold the stator wire in place. seems the holes are not blind and so there for can allow oil through them. I am going to use RTV to seal them up. will post results....

I did a leak down test. When i put some foam around the shaft i get air bubbles where the splines are. I was told that this might be the race that is on the inside of the motor ( the one that is cast into the case)

Any ideas?

Back