free website stats program Primary inspection cover sprung a leak ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary inspection cover sprung a leak ?

lakeforktx

04 Electra Glide , inspection cover started leaking today, never had that happen before, changed it out with new one. Haven't test drove to see if that fixed it but, is it just a thing that happened ,bad seal or something or is there something going wrong making it leak out of the blue ?

04 Electra Glide , inspection cover started leaking today, never had that happen before, changed it out with new one. Haven't test drove to see if that fixed it but, is it just a thing that happened ,bad seal or something or is there something going wrong making it leak out of the blue ?
which inspection cover
I would think you would be the one to say why it started leaking since you took it off and replaced the gasket? Or did you replace cover?. just sayin

Not a pressurized area so it sounds like a bad gasket or screws not torqued to specs.

Not a pressurized area so it sounds like a bad gasket or screws not torqued to specs.

This just a " general suggestion " from a source I read. Check out the self-help section here on the forum to see if it's posted there -----

"Install and torque the inspection cover screws to 50 to 70 pound-inches with a torque wrench and Allen driver."

Check the inspection cover with a good straight edge, especially over the holes, to see if it is flat. The covers get bent from over tightening and won't seal even with a new gasket. I have had this problem before. Use a socket that is slightly larger than the holes and a hammer to flatten the cover back into shape. I lay a rag under the cover to keep from scratching it. A metal straight edge works the best, like those metal 6" rulers some companies give away. Good luck.

Feel around, back behind the primary. clean it off real good (windex on a rag works here). Frequently, what looks like a primary cover leak, is actually a primary mainshaft or starter seal leak, that runs down the back of the primary and drips off where it can confuse you. Don't ask me how I know...

Enjoy,
Rich P

Did you hit it with some cold water when it was real hot? That can do some not too bueno stuff to some of these covers (valve covers, tranny top cover, even nose cones). As a general rule, let the engine and tranny cool off to handy BEFORE washing it.

Do as suggested above to ensure that the derby cover is flat. You can lay it on a marble or granite counter top too, and see if it rocks (just don't get caught!!).

TQ

Back