Primary Help

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by vdoc69, May 13, 2008.

1. vdoc69

vdoc69 New Member

To start with I posted this question in the tips section...What an idiot..Sorry bout that...I need some help on how to change my primary oil...Where to find the drain, and re-fill?? I have an 05 Electra glide standard and just don't know where to begin...I have ordered a maint manual but I haven't recieved it and want to do it soon...I know this is a stupid question to most but I am totally lost here...I got my oil, and tranny done just need to do the primary now... Thanks for any help I can get.....

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

All taken care of:D

The drain is at the bottom of the big section of the primary cover. This will show you where.

Primary Chain Case Servicing - Harley Davidson Community

You refill it either through the small cover in the middle of the primary cover or even better do it through the big cover with the 5 torx bolts in it. They should be a #27 torx, make sure not to use a #25 which will fit but be a bit sloppy so you don't strip the bolt heads out.

When you refill it, have the bike straight up and level and fill it to the bottom of the clutch hub as shown in this picture with the arrow. The cover here is removed for a better view.

[​IMG]

3. Fearless1

Fearless1 Active Member

1 quart usually fills it perfectly same goes for trans.

4. lowrider13

lowrider13 Active Member

1 qt primary, 1 qt trans.

5. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

Do the older ones have a smaller primary cover my manual lists 38Oz for a change.. after rebuild or dry fill 45oz

6. glider

glider Veteran Member

Yes, the older primaries ran less oil than the 07 and later bikes.

7. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Remember the old saying about stupid questions!! On this forum, people ask all kinds of stuff. Glad Glider and his gang got you taken care of.

Welcome!