free website stats program Primary goes out at 25k miles FLHTCU | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary goes out at 25k miles FLHTCU

I for sure want to change the tensioner.

Ran across this simple and economical fix and thought I would pass it on; same as welding the OEM hydro tensioner but with a mechanical fastener. On a softail, this mod can be made in place but on a bagger, the primary is too thick so you would have to set the tension, mark the tensioner, take it off, bolt it up and reinstall. Check the pics for a better explanation. Use a button head bolt as used in the photo.

Attachments

• Fix Auto Tensioner.1.jpg
    Fix Auto Tensioner.1.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Fix Auto Tensioner.2.jpg
    Fix Auto Tensioner.2.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 21
I just move up from a roadstar to my 1st HD 2010 flhtcu and while having new tires put on I ask them to ck it out. I thought the motor too much noise but then maybe not. Well I found that the transmission has the same problems as everyone else. 2000.00 to replace main shaft ,bearings,seal, Hayden tensioner and all the other stuff to complete the job does this sound about right?

Reading about the primarys , has anyone had theirs fill up with engine oil, ran out of oil last summer with in 1000 miles, bike never used a drop before, could not find a leak anywhere, just pulled derby cover & about 3.5 quarts of oil comes out. is there any reason for the engine oil to pump into the primary. if so crank bearing & seal ?? haven`t had a chance to pull inner primary cover yet , tensioner shoe shows no sign of wear, just did cam upgrade & haven`t even started bike yet. any suggestions will be appreicated

Chances are your crank seal behind the rotor/stator is leaking. Only place for motor oil to come from.
tourbox

Back