free website stats program Primary gasket replacement trick | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary gasket replacement trick

When I replace the primary gasket on my 04 Road King Custom Sport I found an easy method for installing the gasket. This method will keep the gasket aligned perfectly and eliminate damage as well to the new gasket. In addition will keep the gasket in place or from falling off when intalling the primary cover.... Use the longest primary bolt and match at any hardware store and match size with 4 ea. shouldered bolts aprox. 3" long and cut off the heads and then file smooth.. Now use these bolts temporarily and thread them by hand at at top, right, left, right and bottom of case and simply slip new gasket over the bolts, Note: shoulder protects gasket and the primary cover. Now install the primary cover and intall the factory bolts as specified, remove the temporay bolts and replace with factory bolts. No more dropping the gasket perfect alignment and fool proof install every time. I have no more problems with primary gasket replacement. This method works on other HD model as well.

Awesome idea. Tks!

Would you happen to remember the thread size and pitch that you purchased.

Awesome idea. Tks!

Would you happen to remember the thread size and pitch that you purchased.

Our local Home Depot or Lowes have pattern holes & studs to check the sizes, just take one of the originals with you. In resent years they are even carrying Metric sizes... Yahoo!! :D

Great tip. My 09 has 2 dowels on the inner primary case and the gasket and outer primary case sit on them for alignment.

When I replace the primary gasket on my 04 Road King Custom Sport I found an easy method for installing the gasket. This method will keep the gasket aligned perfectly and eliminate damage as well to the new gasket. In addition will keep the gasket in place or from falling off when intalling the primary cover.... Use the longest primary bolt and match at any hardware store and match size with 4 ea. shouldered bolts aprox. 3" long and cut off the heads and then file smooth.. Now use these bolts temporarily and thread them by hand at at top, right, left, right and bottom of case and simply slip new gasket over the bolts, Note: shoulder protects gasket and the primary cover. Now install the primary cover and intall the factory bolts as specified, remove the temporay bolts and replace with factory bolts. No more dropping the gasket perfect alignment and fool proof install every time. I have no more problems with primary gasket replacement. This method works on other HD model as well.

See, another great tip thats whats great about this site, Thanks for the tip

Back