Primary fluid

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by 01 rk, May 29, 2013.

1. 01 rk

01 rk Active Member

Stopped at the local indie shop today to get some Red Line shock proof for the trans, I asked what type primary fluid he had, he recommended Red Line MTL, this is a 70-80 wt. gear oil. Just wondering if anyone out there uses MTL in their primary.
    I am a little leary of putting something that heavy in with the clutch, I have been using 20-50 conventional motor oil with no problems.

2. 89 FXRS

89 FXRS Active Member

I've used Redline motor oil, shockproof heavy,and MTL for years and it's the best in my opinion - The MTL is the same as their V-Twin Primary Case Oil

Quote for their site -

"V-Twin Primary Case Oil

For 1984-to-present V-Twin American motorcycle engines, including Evolution, Twin Cam, and aftermarket engines of similar design
    Same fluid as our famous MTL gear oil
    Improves clutch operation while reducing wear and temperature
    Where most synthetics are too slippery for clutch operation, this friction-balanced product is balanced to provide less slip, smoother operation, and helps to apply more power in modified engines
    This product is for use in the primary chaincase with wet-diaphragm spring clutches."

3. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Agreed, use it without hesitation.

4. 01 rk

01 rk Active Member

Thanks for the info and advice.

5. 1Canuck

1Canuck Banned

besides agreeing on the MTL or V Twin primary from Redline
    a 20-50 engine oil is same as a 75-90 gear oil. for some reason they number them differently so we know which is engine and which is gear

6. DFHarley19

DFHarley19 Active Member

Ohhh I love MTL! I took Bubbie's advise and am glad I DID!!! You will not regret!