free website stats program primary fluid confusion? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

primary fluid confusion?

I use amsoil synthetic 20-50 in all holes and it works fine. I have an 07 deluxe with 23,000 miles and no problems

I use syn 3 in the primary however after hearing this I plan on changing, are there any concerns or tips with changing to another type after putting almost 50k on the bike, dont want to shock the system.

People seem to think because they have 20-30---- K miles on a product and nuts and bolts haven't gone flying yet that it is OK to use in this area and this corroborates the fact. Use what is supposed to be used in a compartment and forget the substitutes unless you have deep pockets for repairs down the road.

Also do some concrete research on something like this and come up with the valid facts instead of "it works for me"

I use amsoil synthetic 20-50 in all holes and it works fine. I have an 07 deluxe with 23,000 miles and no problems

Interesting.

I myself like to use fluids formulated for the specific purpose they are designed. It helps me sleep better :D

The dealer put Syn3 in all 3 holes when they did my first change (1000 miles). When I changed to Mobil 20-50w V-Twin oil 1000 miles later my oil pressure went up 3-4 pounds and the temperature was 15-20 degrees cooler.

Being statistically a very small percentage who use ATF consider yourself lucky. HD does long term reasearch on lubes and quite honestly dino based lubes in the tranny and oil wetted clutch were used long ago, but since Syn3 is ultimately from Hugo Chavez' oil...along with his anti-American rhetoric, I would not use it either. I choose not to have my oil wetted Sporty clutch running in full synthetic lube either, coming from the metric motorcycle crowd were motor oil is the ONLY lube for the engine, tranny/clutch and primary. Your ride you decide...

Back