free website stats program primary drain plug | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

primary drain plug

Don't over insert that plug, the magnet on the end could contact the clutch basket. You could try a new plug or retap the cover and use the newer style plug with the "O" ring. Verify the plug for depth too.

Locktite also has a thread sealant that you can try too.

Like others have said check thread area for cracks. I use tape and a little pipe dope on mine.

The other thing to check for is the inner primary is not leaking or even the tranny. A leak from the main shaft will find its way to the drain plug area down the back of the inner primary.

That is my vote. the mainshaft seal can leak, and the drip will come off of the lowest place...the drain plug. take your hand and feel around the inside surface of the primary, where the belt is driven. If the mainshaft seal is leaking, you will find oil in behind there.

Good luck,
Rich P

bikerod,

I used teflon tape and only inserted the plug to allow CLOSE to flush....Usually it should stick out 1/8 inch. That is what I tried for...

The Taper on a 1/8 pipe plug is SO Little, it only takes a few times to SNUG (Not Even Tight) it will never work again properly.

There IS No such way To tighten that TIGHT...

It is a very bad design by HD.

On a new 00 bike back when, I took it in for the 1,000 mile maintenance and Unknowing to me, as it came back with that plug in by a 1/4 inch...

I never found it out until I Changed the primary out on the next scheduled change... NOW I do ALL my changes and Never have anybody doing them. You Never need to have HD service your bike even Under Warranty.

I do my own.

When confronted, they would not do anything about it (3,000 miles later) saying you MUST OF done it... Never went there again and did my Own work TOTALLY from then on... No shops for me.:s (BURNT TWICE)

Saying this so you know NOT to insert it any further than the FLUSH Maximum ... I would use a plumbers dope that WILL set up and just keeping plug out showing 1.8 inch and the thread with that plumbers white dope should get a glob like a "0" ring and Let DRY on that 1/8" showing out.... This build-up should keep it from dripping.

I have not heard of any plug com'n out IF put in to 1/8 sticking out OR Flush using my way I suggested....

I always checked that plug with my hand when re-fueling and again when home, just making sure it was there.
Never Moved out..... Soon forgot all about it until MTL need to be change.:s

Not a problem, So ONCE you get used to that crummy set-up.

Just My Way.....

signed....BUBBIE

Rod you will find many references to stuff used in the US that has a different name in the UK
In this thread Teflon tape gets used here is a quick description

Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) is a synthetic fluoropolymer of tetrafluoroethylene that has numerous applications. The best known brand name of PTFE is Teflon by DuPont Co.

Here we as you can see call it ptfe

Brian

Thanx for that info Brian I didn't realise hope the weather is calmer up there. Rod

Bubbie many thanx. Rod

Last edited by a moderator:
Back