free website stats program Primary drain plug, I dont understand an issue with it | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary drain plug, I dont understand an issue with it

BillMull

Banned
96 Sportster and I drained the primary fluid and the plug was pretty tight to even get off. When I put the fluid back in it and put the plug back in it I was tightening it and it seemed to never get tight but just spun around constantly. I looked through other "threads" in regards to this and never found anything regards to the model bike I have. I just want to make sure if this is common or anyone else who has this bike or anyone who just knows about this issue. Im tired of running into issues with this bike. It has been one thing after another with it. I guess its part of it when getting it from someone who didnt have a desire to maintain it as I love to! Thanks to everyone!:cheers

see sept,2011 popular mechanics mag. pagers 139-141 it uses a lisle 58850 oil pan plug rethreading kit. avail at napa. $95.00 good luck

I would think a drain plug has to be able to be torque to a certain spec. Go get a new plug at dealer and see if it will install properly. If not then brownfoxx1 has you covered. Sounds like it was crossed threaded last time oil changed.....:(

Welcome to Lawson Products
these work in a pinch tho a time sert is a permanent repair:s

As usual Jack is spot on. Bill I happen to have a Time-Sert kit that may work for you if Jack or someone else can verify if your primary drain plug is the same as what I have (1/2-20). I will send the kit to you you so you can do the repair the right way but have to send it to geezer when you are done as he has dibs on the other insert left in the kit.

As usual Jack is spot on. Bill I happen to have a Time-Sert kit that may work for you if Jack or someone else can verify if your primary drain plug is the same as what I have (1/2-20). I will send the kit to you you so you can do the repair the right way but have to send it to geezer when you are done as he has dibs on the other insert left in the kit.

TripleJ always willing to help, Awesome , Me thinks you have the correct kit:s

they also make a steel threaded reducer you might consider. i used to use it for the petcock in the gas tank to accept a different size petcock. if you epoxy the reducer in then the plug will go into a steel threads. just trying to give you options.

Thanks for still thinking about me John but it sounds like Bill needs the kit now so send it to him if you wish. My tranny plug will be good till winter. :D

Thanks for still thinking about me John but it sounds like Bill needs the kit now so send it to him if you wish. My tranny plug will be good till winter. :D

Only sending it to Bill if he agrees to pass it on to you :D I have a funny feeling he will :bigsmiley14:

Only sending it to Bill if he agrees to pass it on to you :D I have a funny feeling he will :bigsmiley14:

I'm sure he won't have a problem with that. By the time you get the kit back there won't be any inserts left!:lolrolling

Back