free website stats program Primary Cover Problems | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary Cover Problems

The_Q

Had problems with my primary cover chain inspection cover leaking since it was serviced. I could never find time to take it back and figured it was caused by the new Harley gasket and no inspection cover change. I ordered the new and improved cover and gasket kit for my '04 XL883. Got it yesterday and went to install it. When I removed the front bolt some of the threads in the primary case appear to have pulled from the case (stripped). When I installed the new gasket and cover the front bolt wont torque to the proper spec., it just spins. The rear bolt torqued fine. I rode the bike and have no more leak issues, but I want to fix the primary cover. Anyone have a recommendation other than replacing the primary cover? When I was in the military we used an item called a heli-coil, or something to that effect to fix similar problems. Is it possible to fix this without removing the cover? Thanks in advance for your advise and suggestions.

Thanks, I was really hoping that would be the case :D Do you guys happen to know the size of the screws (thread, size and pitch) for the inspection cover? I was looking at ebay and kits are listed and very inexpensive. The hole looks like it needs new threads and going a plus size seems like more work than a helicoil insert and it retains the stock look too.

Update :D Installed two 1/4-20 helicoils last night and all is fixed now. I didn't have to remove the primary cover. I dipped the drill bit in oil prior to drilling to catch shavings and I caught shavings in a shop towel on the backside. Did the same with the tap. I used a dab of red locktite on the helicoils and let them sit overnight. I buttoned it all up this morning and all looks good. Thanks for your help.

Ride Safe
Q.

I'd never heard of helicoils before this post. Sounds like the ticket. I will keep them in mind for future reference.
Thanks for the tip.

I'd never heard of helicoils before this post. Sounds like the ticket. I will keep them in mind for future reference.
Thanks for the tip.

Helicoils are stainless steel inserts developed when the Air Force was tightening stainless steel hardware into aluminum aircraft parts and stripping them out early on...WWII I think. Been too long to remember where I read about it...try Google...:bigsmiley32:

Back