Primary Cover Bolts Torqued ?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by teburns662, Nov 29, 2009.

1. teburns662

teburns662 Member

I'm replacing the outer primary cover and do not have a factory shop manual, I have a Clymer Manual for Softail models, but it does not list any torque specs for the bolts on the outer primary cover.

I thought I read a thread here earlier to make sure and sequence the tightening of the bolts and torque to specs as well to prevent warping the primary covers, but I see no info listed on these procedures in the Clymer.

I have this bike with a Stock 1986 Softail transmission and primary if anyone can give me some info I would be deeply appreciative !!!

Thanks and ride safe !

2. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

3. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

108-120 in. lbs. from flht shop manual, same size bolts.

4. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

As Smitty says, but remember that any sealer on the thread means the fastener torque is "wet" torque AND if you are reusing the gasket, you really have to be careful to stage & cross torque the fasteners evenly and lowest possible i.e. 100 in/lbs or so..."--head contacts cover, then start with 1/4 turn...:s

5. teburns662

teburns662 Member

Thanks for the input, and especially the reference to the web page containing the "Bolt Torque Values". With everyones input I should be able to get it done.

I agree Smitty the Clymers are basically just a small step better than nothing. I ordered it thinking it would give me basic torque content and specs but I found it to be better use as a paperweight for my wiring diagrams than anything else, LOL.

Thanks again for everyones input.

6. fin_676

fin_676 Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Clymer manuals have a set of tables at the end of the chapter and funnily enough the one marked tightening torques have the correct torque settings in both ft-lb and n-m so you are able to do the correct torque if you live in the metric world as well as the imperial

Brian

7. Drumrguy

Drumrguy Account Removed

118 inch pounds will be fine.