free website stats program Primary Cover Bolts Torqued ? | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary Cover Bolts Torqued ?

I'm replacing the outer primary cover and do not have a factory shop manual, I have a Clymer Manual for Softail models, but it does not list any torque specs for the bolts on the outer primary cover.

I thought I read a thread here earlier to make sure and sequence the tightening of the bolts and torque to specs as well to prevent warping the primary covers, but I see no info listed on these procedures in the Clymer.

I have this bike with a Stock 1986 Softail transmission and primary if anyone can give me some info I would be deeply appreciative !!!

Thanks and ride safe !

Clymer are very wanting better than nothing but thats about it
For you primarey cover its not such a big deal.
Make it clear are you removing the entire inter primary cover or the derby cover for Derby this will do for you.
If you use a 1/4 ratchet with correct bit snug it not a lot of force.
top buttom rigth left you will be just fine.
Big mistake many make here is getting it to tight.
This is often caused by reusing old gaskets and then trying to stop seepage by tightening the screws more.
On older bikes that have been on and off many times some like to use a very small amount of light thread sealer. Again small amount of light stuff.

As Smitty says, but remember that any sealer on the thread means the fastener torque is "wet" torque AND if you are reusing the gasket, you really have to be careful to stage & cross torque the fasteners evenly and lowest possible i.e. 100 in/lbs or so..."--head contacts cover, then start with 1/4 turn...:s

Thanks for the input, and especially the reference to the web page containing the "Bolt Torque Values". With everyones input I should be able to get it done.

I agree Smitty the Clymers are basically just a small step better than nothing. I ordered it thinking it would give me basic torque content and specs but I found it to be better use as a paperweight for my wiring diagrams than anything else, LOL.

Thanks again for everyones input.

Clymer manuals have a set of tables at the end of the chapter and funnily enough the one marked tightening torques have the correct torque settings in both ft-lb and n-m so you are able to do the correct torque if you live in the metric world as well as the imperial

Brian

Back