free website stats program Primary compensator | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary compensator

I just spent a few minutes on the web site. They sure don't give any information away! See a picture and buy it is all I could come up with.

It doesn't look like a compensator at all & looks more like direct drive to me. Bet it would be hard on your crank.

It doesn't look like a compensator at all & looks more like direct drive to me. Bet it would be hard on your crank.

I agree there too, IMO it would be a bad move with the pressed cranks in the 07- bikes like you have. It would a short lived engine.

IF solid like it looks, I'd agree with all above. CUSHION is needed on these heavy strong bikes.

Think of the double chain on the big twins and the triple on the sporty... Lot of forward and back motion.. Now IF it were a lighter two stroke and single chain to the motor it might be ok..

Laughing at Me, in a thought of my first doodle bug..
Direct drive from engine to the tire with a chain and sprocket Years latter I developed the Belt drive on a spring load,,,,Thought I was pretty smart then..

signed....BUBBIE

I guess they've been on the market for a while. I found an article dated 3/08. An excerpt from that article :

"So how does it work? Instead of stacked conical springs it uses Teflon washers, which it compresses under load. The hub, or "lead flange" is splined to fit the sprocket shaft and it's threaded on the outside to fit the inside threads of the sprocket.
It goes on the shaft first (after the spacer), followed by a Teflon washer, followed by the sprocket, then another Teflon washer, then the nut flange (also splined but not threaded) then the nut, tightened to stock torque.
Since the sprocket has right-hand threads, the motor tries to "tighten" the lead flange into the sprocket, compressing the inner Teflon washer. On rebound, the sprocket tries to unscrew, compressing the nut flange Teflon washer.

For the complete article and pics: New type of compensator from BDL - The Harley-Davidson Riders Club Great Britain

Two teflon washers don't seem like a lot of shock absorption.

HMMMM, I dont know, it kind of reminds me of the old Sportster set up cept the nylon washers I dont think it could absorb the shock JMO

I work in the packaging industry and we use something very similar to allow us to slit two rolls of material onto different shafts from a common roll on an unwind stand. Sounds easy but without a mechanism such as this, one roll is hard and one can be soft due to differences in material across the web.
They also use teflon washers as the "friction" drive medium. Works well and we can make rolls as hard as tree trunks but not sure I'd want it on my bike? My 2 cents.

Back