free website stats program primary...clutch basket... | Harley Davidson Forums

primary...clutch basket...

bio_research

Contributor
O.K., this might sound dumb, but oh well... I have built cars and work on them regularly, but this is my first bike... I just got my bike back from the 10k service and the clutch was slipping... I popped off the primary side cover and I can't even see any oil in there... Everything says is should be at the bottom of the "clutch basket" Someone else told me to the bottom of actual primary case (bottom edge of the circle opening) Does anyone have any help they can offer... It's a 2008 nightster... Does anyone have a pic of where the level should be?

You should be able to see oil at the bottom of the clutch basket when on the jiffy stand. If not they forgot to fill it.

what is the bottom of the clutch basket on the bike... I can't even feel any oil with my finger unless I get all the way in there... it is the closer cast aluminum part that the cable hooks to?

Sorry...

I decided to ask my 22 month old daughter for some help... She seems to know her stuff...

I included a pic so you can see that the oil primary oil was low... the bike was level... you can see there is space at the bottom of the clutch basket. She adjusted the clutch cable and the clutch and added some primary oil... Seems to work great now.

Attachments

• addison primary cover.jpg
    addison primary cover.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 33
  • low primary oil.jpg
    low primary oil.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 33
  • addison clutch.jpg
    addison clutch.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 32
From what I see, it is not low. The level of oil should be at bottom of clutch just like yours. If you dont have service manual then get one. You will see them in there.

From what everything said the oil was low... it wasn't even ouching the clutch... I guess it looks like it in the pic. It was about .25"-.5" away when level.

I guess she does know her stuff. Keep training her, she could be handy when you get Old like me(lol).
tourbox

Seems to me if you paid for a 10k service, the fluid levels should have been changed or at least noted, you may have questions for whom ever did the service, or did I mis read this?

Back