free website stats program Primary chirping | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary chirping

Maybe a bird stuck in there?:D

How about looking into the adjuster to see if it is adjusted right and the level of oil is right.

When I down shift and release the clutch it sounds like birds chirping in the primary. Any ideas?

Not trying to be an alarmist, but based on my own personal experience, anytime there is strange noise of any sort coming from inside the primary case, I suggest dumping the fluid and opening it up to look. If the compensator nut backs off, the rotor can wallow around on the shaft potentially damaging the stator and the magnets on the rotor, and if the rotor jams on the stator, the drive shaft will shear the teeth out of the rotor in a heart beat. Trust me, I know. So if it sounds like it is inside the primary case, pop it open and check!!

TQ

I did open it and no birds flew out so thats a good thing.:D The oil level is up to the ring on the clutch. I check it regularly because of the noise. I am planning on changing the gasket this winter, i can see a little seeping around it after a ride. How much play should the chain have? Should I go with the HB tensioner since I will have it open? thanks for the responses.

I had a similar issue with a97 FLHT when the belt got wet from ridding in the rain it would chirp for a couple days an adjustment to the belt solved the chirp good luck

The noise has been there for a while. I tightened the belt and that did not stop it. It definately comes from the primary. I got caught in the rain the other day and I heard the drive belt sqeeking

I had a similar issue with a97 FLHT when the belt got wet from ridding in the rain it would chirp for a couple days an adjustment to the belt solved the chirp good luck

I just started having a similar cherping noise, I'll have to give the drive belt a check to see if it needs adjusted.

Did you guys find the belt loose or tight when it was cherping?

Back