free website stats program Primary chain replacement. | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary chain replacement.

I agree with TQ about the impact wrench. Even if you are lucky enough not to cause a problem with the crank, the epoxy in the rotor can let go and the magnets will become dislodged and require replacement of the rotor.

have you never seen someone gas weld a leak in a full fuel tank on the car, no problem if you are brave thats how they used to fixem before a few that didn`t know what they were doing caught fire and compensation set rules for repair.tom

I used a impact on my 06 Dyna with no problem and you can replace the chain on the 06 + newer without removing the clutch basket. tom
the harley manual says its okay to use an impact to take it off but to use a torque wrench going back on. Engine nut is torqued to 150 to 165 ft lb. The clutch hub nut to 70 to 80 ft lb. thats is on late model Evo. I doubt the specs would be much different than TC88.

To get my compensator nut off i put it in 5th gear and had my girlfriend hold the rear brake and it came loose with no problems.
blvd

Heres a follow up to replacing the primary chain.

Today I tried to remove the compensator nut and in my haste and not reading the manual properly I thought the compensator nut had a left hand thread like the clutch.

I twisted the nut (1.5 in) so hard it broke right off . Needless to say I am not a happy camper about my own stupidity.

I know there is no easy solution. I'm just looking for information that will prevent a bad situation from becoming worse.

Don`t think you are the only one to do that... I did the same thing about 15 years ago. Removed the remaining part of the nut with a die grinder and cutting wheel. One thing for certain, you will never have to refer to the manual to see which way to turn the compensator nut to loosen it...

I use an electric impact on mine. The dealers all use impact tools for loosen these parts, and my manual even says that an impact is OK for loosening purposes only. Do Not use an impact to tighten things when you are done.

Don`t think you are the only one to do that... I did the same thing about 15 years ago. Removed the remaining part of the nut with a die grinder and cutting wheel. One thing for certain, you will never have to refer to the manual to see which way to turn the compensator nut to loosen it...

Thats for sure. I spent the last 2 hrs doing excatly that. It was suggested I use an air chisel, but was reluctant as this site does not recommend the use of a impact gun.

Being a desk jockey, this was a major event for me. I may just get this bike on the road by the end of the week.:D:D:D

I have been struggling to get the compensator nut loose on mine, any tips?

Make sure you are going the right way on the comp nut, righty tighty lefty lucy. not righty lossy like on the clutch basket.
Use a hand tourch on the end of the nut. making sure you have all the oil out of the way so no fire can start. DO NOT USE AN IMPACT. Heat the nut end only for a few minutes and it will come lose. Use a 3/4 inch breaker bar,if you have one, a half inch is no good all you will do is break the bar where the stocket goes on unless you use heat. once off Let it cool on it's owen and do not for get to toqure it back to spec's and use loctite. let it set for at least an hour or so. So that the loctite can set up. Or other wise your comp sprocket nut can loosen up and back out, then you have bigger headaches.

Back