free website stats program primary chain pitted | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

primary chain pitted

hi Hoople strange thing is very little on magnet this time or last fall. when I drained it last fall there was a 1/4" length of steel - to me it looked like a piece of heli coil. I taped it to something so I could take to dealer but don`t remember were I put it.
at this point I`m going to run it another 2k then change it again, If it comes out grey again its off to dealer for warr before something breaks
thanks

Sounds like a primary chain with rollers that were manufactured with improper hardening. That would explain, not all, but most of it..
1) color of oil.
2) Chain tensioner looking fine.
3) Sprockets looking fine
4) Chain rollers having pitting and grooves.

I would have expected the mag to be loaded with metal and it was not.
The only other reason I could come up with is the primary somehow got a ton of water in it. That of course would do it.

I have worked on chain driven machines from conduit pipe benders to amusement park rides that have chains for everything. I can't ever recall seeing chain rollers having grooves in them that had an oil bath as we do in our primary. Oil bath chains don't usually groove unless the oil was kerosene or had water in it.

hi hoople
this is why I thought it very strange & had to ask - I have done a lot of timing chains over the years (worn out & broken ) I don`t every remember seeing pitting & grooves.
the two dealers billed me for the primary fluid change , but as dirty as it was last fall I have to wonder .now that I know which fluids to use the dealers wont be changing them.
If I ever find an answer I will add to post in future
thanks everyone for your input
garve

Back