free website stats program primary chain pitted | Harley Davidson Forums

primary chain pitted

GARVIN

hi every one
changed the primary fluid on 09 Ultra - fluid dirty grey colour - removed primary cover to see if chain was rubbing - what I found was the rollers in the chain is very pitted and looks like wear grooves in rollers, chain has ~1/4 top play - can`t seem to find spec`s in manual for allowable play.
has anyone else seen their chain worn this way .
changed primary last fall before storage - formula + ,
fluid at that time was like mud colour .
thanks

Garvin, how many miles did you put your bike? Is this the 2nd or 3rd time you replaced the fluid, and at what miles for each? Did you buy this '09 brand new?

That Doesn't sound like a good thing going on in your chaincase.. 09 and like asked when why where... If warranty is still there,,, it should be on an 09 , I would of Hot Footed It to My local dealer service and had them do the look....

Waiting for information Also!

signed....BUBBIE

Is the nylon Shoe in place??? under the chains?

Pictures of the remains would be helpful. Sprocket teeth,, chain tension-er..etc I can understand the mud color but grooving of the rollers? That's not good.

I have Always had my chain case oil come out Looking New like It was just put in... Something has to be Very wrong and I would suspect the nylon shoe Missing...

Or the chain adjuster really Loose and allowing double chain to Rub Big Time inside the case to make all that grey color...

signed....BUBBIE

HI Guy`s
first service at dealers was at 1850km, they said all fluid changed on recipt
syn 3 oil used, next service was in murtle beach at 9500km . syn 3
after reading about the fluids here. changed them all out at 12000km before winter.
sorry never thought to get pictures .
put formula+ in in fall - has 14800 km on now.
slid tension tighter by 1 notch ,shoe looked smooth, tensioner seemed to be ok other wise

hi again - nothing is is broken just looked close at chain & noticed pit marks & tooth grooves marks on rollers. the real reason I removed cover was due to drive line noises & wanted to clean inside of primary.
due to the original condition of primary fluid I wonder if either dealer accually changed the fluid.
thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
HI Guy`s
first service at dealers was at 1850km, they said all fluid changed on recipt
syn 3 oil used, next service was in murtle beach at 9500km . syn 3
after reading about the fluids here. changed them all out at 12000km before winter.
sorry never thought to get pictures .
put formula+ in in fall - has 14800 km on now.
slid tension tighter by 1 notch ,shoe looked smooth, tensioner seemed to be ok other wise

hi again - nothing is is broken just looked close at chain & noticed pit marks & tooth grooves marks on rollers. the real reason I removed cover was due to drive line noises & wanted to clean inside of primary.
due to the original condition of primary fluid I wonder if either dealer accually changed the fluid.
thanks

If you have a problem with the compensator it could cause metal to show as a fine Grey color in the oil.?? on misalignment of sprocket ???

There had to be more than Just OIL here,,, The tooth marks on chain say Way Too Loose at one time and the grey oil says a lot of metal like the chaincase made the color while the double chain Rubbed it,,,

You saying Drive line Noise.... Chain Way Loose would cause the noise.......

If the stator has a magnet broken-off and Rubbing, It could get a lot of metal color in the oil (grey) and Cause noise... but I really think the Chain was Way Loose at one time and caused the major problem.....

If it okay now, I would only use Good oils like Formal + or a specified oil for wet clutch applications Then pick a good synthetic oil for the engine.
20/50 Redline, Spectro, Mobil 1 V-twin.... Go for a good tranny lube like Redline shockproof heavy or Spectro , NOT Syn 3 please!!!!

I think you could run formal+ in A chain-case for 20,000 miles with out a color change like you say it has done... As long as the chain adjuster kept the chain taunt...
(not advising you go that many miles before changing)

But the tranny can go 20,000 miles saying so in the hd's service book.

Something Not right here and you May still have a problem...

What did the hd person claim the problem caused the oil to Grey..??
or did they see it?

signed....BUBBIE

Just added another thought... to add to the mess

How much oil did you drain Out???
could it have been Real LOW?

if so, this would cause a problem of not enough lube in the chaincase to start with... wearing the internal parts a lot!

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks bubbie
no sign on any casing of any thing rubbing anywhere . After the fluids were changed in m/beach the bike got really loud on way home (20 hour ride)
had bike at that time to dealer for noises - old saying - noises normal turn up radio-
after finding HD Talking and checking oils , changed to mobil 1 v-twin , spectro six spd , and formula +,
changed the primary early due to how dirty it was last fall
another thing when removing primary cover the #3 screw had pressure behind it.
just seemed weird
thanks

full quart drained out .this time last fall can`t remember.
added full bottle last fall .

full quart drained out .this time last fall can`t remember.
added full bottle last fall .

Answer me this question. Since the sprockets, chain, compensator, and rotor are all made from ferrous metals, the magnetic drain plug had to be absolutely LOADED with metal particles. Was it?

hi Hoople strange thing is very little on magnet this time or last fall. when I drained it last fall there was a 1/4" length of steel - to me it looked like a piece of heli coil. I taped it to something so I could take to dealer but don`t remember were I put it.
at this point I`m going to run it another 2k then change it again, If it comes out grey again its off to dealer for warr before something breaks
thanks

Back