free website stats program Primary chain oiling | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary chain oiling

Grumpy01

This is manly a question. How many early dry clutch fxrs' are still running the stock primary chain oiling system and do you have a problem with the plates becoming either sticky or slipping? As a matter of fact this would apply to both the shovels and the evos.

This is manly a question. How many early dry clutch fxrs' are still running the stock primary chain oiling system and do you have a problem with the plates becoming either sticky or slipping? As a matter of fact this would apply to both the shovels and the evos.

Tech Tips You can adjust the flow of oil:s

Know about the adjust the flow stuff. My reason for asking the question is wether or not anyone has disabled the stock system. I for one didn't like the fact that the crud from the clutch and chain were sucked back into the entire oiling system. When I took the rocker covers off the engine back in '85 there was a coating on every surface in the motor. There is no reason for this in a modern engine. That is contamination which I don't need. I just use 3 oz. of ATF tytpe F for lube. I have the dry clutch. It works just fine and the engine stays nice and clean. There is a side benifit.

In the pre '92 EVO engine cases the return oil from the primary is sucked back into the engine. If this fitting is used in conjunction with a baffled catch can, the breather tube can be routed to the can and any oil expelled by the breather can be sent back to the engine. This makes the breather system a "closed" system as far as the oil is concerened. By mounting a small filter like a K&N crankcase filter on the top of the can you can make an loseless oil breather systm, eliminate the original breather hose to the carb, plate and clean up the whole look of the engine.

There is one caveat here. If the engine wet sumps after winter storage or the oil pump check valve is not good, the oil pumped out of the breather will overwhelm the catch can and make the small breather filter on its top your first indication that you have a sumping problem.

Know about the adjust the flow stuff. My reason for asking the question is wether or not anyone has disabled the stock system. I for one didn't like the fact that the crud from the clutch and chain were sucked back into the entire oiling system. When I took the rocker covers off the engine back in '85 there was a coating on every surface in the motor. There is no reason for this in a modern engine. That is contamination which I don't need. I just use 3 oz. of ATF tytpe F for lube. I have the dry clutch. It works just fine and the engine stays nice and clean. There is a side benifit.

In the pre '92 EVO engine cases the return oil from the primary is sucked back into the engine. If this fitting is used in conjunction with a baffled catch can, the breather tube can be routed to the can and any oil expelled by the breather can be sent back to the engine. This makes the breather system a "closed" system as far as the oil is concerened. By mounting a small filter like a K&N crankcase filter on the top of the can you can make an loseless oil breather systm, eliminate the original breather hose to the carb, plate and clean up the whole look of the engine.

There is one caveat here. If the engine wet sumps after winter storage or the oil pump check valve is not good, the oil pumped out of the breather will overwhelm the catch can and make the small breather filter on its top your first indication that you have a sumping problem.

I shut off the oiler on my 1960 Fl, and had no problems, I would lube the primary chain 1 a week thru the inspection hole on the Diamond Primary, I got tired of dirty oil and marking its spot, the early tin primaries were notorious for leaks, Winter time I would leave the oil tank empty, only oil left was in the case, The check balls in the old pumps were poor at best JMO

AMEN on the check balls. Your experiences sound like mine before I had the primary outer surface re-surfaced and the ditto for the cover on my early 84 fxr. My model had lots of leaks from the factory. The clutch release cover was another great fiasco. No seal of any kind on the shaft and the trans oil would just run all over the right side of the trans. It was a left over shovel era part. Bought a SE cover which had a seal in it and cured the problem.

I honestly can't believe a manufacturer would allow a thing like that to get out of the factory. They had to know about it.

Now you know why they call me grumpy

still all stock set up on my E84

Ditto... Must be a Jersey thing... if it an't broke don't fix it!

Just put 100 miles on Tuesday for the Spring opener. Bike now has 19,000 plus and no problems that can be attributed to the primary oiling system.

Back