primary chain auto adjusters

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by bobbeidel, Apr 25, 2012.

1. bobbeidel

bobbeidel Active Member

I plan on installing the SE compensator and was wondering if I should also change to a different primary chain self adjuster (say the HB125). Have there been any problems with the HD self adjusters - my mechanic doesn't like the HD self adjusters for some reason. Any thoughts on this subject??

Thanks,
    Bob

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Guest

Did your mechanic say why? I have not seen any major issues reported yet, I would like to see an adjuster window in the primary just because but I think it is a very good set up JMO

3. bobbeidel

bobbeidel Active Member

he probably did say but it didn't register with me. I'll talk to him about it and if it's not too expensive I might just do the adjuster while he is in there!! Thanks Jack. I'll try to let you know why he doesn't like the stock adjuster.

4. 100ed

100ed Member

on some models it holds the chain to tight . it is a cause ot premature seal failer . more info is avabile on baker drivetrain web site ( i just saw something about it the other day on there site .didnt pay to much attention sorry .mine still has the origenal hand adj 03 .

5. RibEye

RibEye Junior Member

If I am not mistaken, the stock adjuster is a spring-loaded mechanical ratchet type. Under certain conditions, such can ratchet too tight, and stay that way. A hydraulic will bleed back down if it self-sets too tight during a particular ride. Your mileage may vary.

Enjoy,
    Rich P

6. dd1228

dd1228 Active Member

My mechanic says the same thing that it is a ratchet type and has a tendency to ratchet too tight and it won't release. I installed the spring loaded adjuster, I can't remember the brand, but it begins with an H. It's been working fine for me over a year, and keeps the chain just right.

7. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Guest

Installing the Hayden M6 Chain Tensioner >> Motorcycle Riding Gear Online must be a Hayden like this one

8. dd1228

dd1228 Active Member

Yeah, that's it, the Hayden M6. Thanks Jack.