free website stats program Primary chain alignment | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary chain alignment

fwcole

I noticed a rattle coming from my primary on my 2003 dwg. Pulled it down and noticed the alignment was off. After measuring as the service manual calls for, I noticed that the alignment is off the same as the alignment spacer. My questions are, can you go without the spacer to correct this problem? What would cause the alignment to be off that bad? The torques were correct, everything was in good order, correct placement of spacers. Is there a problem with my mainshaft endplay causing this? Im really stumped on this one.Thanks for any advice.

It should run straight, don't know why it would be off the same width as the spacer, I would look at the breakdown in the service manual, if it calls for one then it should be there, sounds like you need to do a little more investigating. I would have to look at the breakdown myself, it has been a while.

The breakdown shows a spacer that is interchangeable to achieve the correct alignment. Thanks for the thoughts , I havent had time to continue investigating, but thats what Im about to do now.

I decided I'll go with the .010 spacer hd offers. The tolerance is .030, so the .010 spacer will leave me inside the service limits. Next time I pull the top end apart I'll check the flywheel for runout.

Sounds like you are on the right track, I'm currently going back together with my bike and as I was installing the inner primary I noticed one of the top ribs had been ground down from the chain. When I went back together with the chain assy I realized the inner spacer was missing and the chain was out of alingnment. I'm guessing I missed installing the spacer the last time I was in there. I'm going to measure the slack and hopefully I will be staraight and off my inner primary.

Back