free website stats program Primary Chain Adjustment | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary Chain Adjustment

Hello to everyone, I am JohnnyBiker2, I have just joined this forum and I am looking forward to meeting all of you.

Well, let's get to it. I have a 96 Sporty and I need to adjust my primary chain. I have a book but it just (edit) (Try's to cover too may bikes). Please correct me if I am wrong, I need to take my inspection cover off, or fill cover, check the deflection through there, I am looking for a deflection of no more than a 1/2" cold, and no less than 3/8" cold? Now here is the thing that is just driving me nuts, on the bottom of the primary, there are 2 bolts, one that is just a hex, I am assuming that this is the drain? The other has a hex nut, but seems to be hollow with an allen in it. The one with the allen is my chain adjuster right?

Last edited by a moderator:
YES..... the one you described is the chain adjuster....

Mind You,,,,,, This adjuster for your sporty is Just as "Touchy as OUR Language rules" so careful when you adjust and tighten and Speak.

signed....BUBBIE

Welcome to the forum Johnny; When you adjust the chain it's a good idea to turn the engine over and check several different spots. Chains sometimes have tighter/looser spots in them.

You guessed right!!

Again, my apologies, this will not happen again. :D

Welcome to the forum Johnny; When you adjust the chain it's a good idea to turn the engine over and check several different spots. Chains sometimes have tighter/looser spots in them.

have you noticed that the inspection cover on them don not seal the same all the way around? Why do you think this is?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a good thing that I will be putting a different on anyway. Update I took a look at my chain, and I thought that it was dead on. Just to be sure, I took it to an indy shop that is three blocks away and they had said the same thing, so I guess that is not what I am chasing. This is baffling.

Well, at about 40mph, I would start to here this noise. I guess the noise is best described as what I would described what those road gremlin bells sound like. I spoke to an indy shop and suggested that it is most likely my chain was loose. As said, I checked the chain, had a different indy shop look at it, and they said it was ok. So now I am just curious as what the noise is? Any suggestions?

Back