free website stats program Primary chain adjustment | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary chain adjustment

pokerslim

When i adjust the primary chain,will the noise that sounds that a lifter tapping go away.i read a post that said the primary is self adjustable,and to run it up to 30 mph and get on the brakes,said to do this about 3 times,i did and it did,nt work.i,m going to adjust the primary chain today and i hope that will quietin it down a bit.if anyone has this problem,please give me a little advice on how you solved it.
Thanks,pokerslim

What,s up hobbit....
It,s a 2004 xl883,it,s basicly stock except for the pipes i put on it.i read a post on checking the slack on the chain.i bought the bike used so i don,t have the manuel on it.it sounds like a lifter is tapping,and i,ve read that it,s the primary chain making that noise.i,m going to check the slack and make the adjustments and hope that cures it.i appreciate any heads up you can offer me on this.

this is for an 08 1200, but I imagine its the same or similar.

Attachments

• sportster primatry chain adjustment.pdf
    65.7 KB · Views: 524
cheers wildspirit dunno why mine would not do it
I was fighting with my scanner the other day and after about 3 hours of uninstalling and reinstalling software and restoring my computer to an early state, and removing my newly installed anti-virus, my wife walked in and said."would this cable coming from the lid that's not plugged into anything have anything to do with it?" :wall
I have the PDF for 2005,2007,2008 Softails and the 2008 nightster. with adobe acrobat you can print pages to a file instead of scanning.

appreciate it men.....everything seemed to check out okay,i had 1/4 inch free play with a hot checking.hobbit said his scooter ticked also,so i may be over reacting.although it only takes a little time to check things out.i want to thank all of you for the expert advice.these forums are priceless....this is my first harley and i,m a believer in working on my own.i learn something daily on these forums.hopefully in the future i can be of some help to someone else...
thanks again,pokerslim

Back