free website stats program Primary chain adjustment - confusion | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary chain adjustment - confusion

dangerdan

I got this info from this site

Open the primary chain inspection cover and check the chain. The chain adjuster hangs in the open below the primary for easy access. "It takes a 7/8-inch open-end wrench," and a 1/4 Allen and should be adjusted hot." The new Sportster manual called for 3/8 to 1/2 -inch cold and 1/4 to 3/8 inch slack while hot

My manual calls for 5/8 to 7/8 -inch cold and 3/8to 5/8 inch slack while hot

Metal expands when hot and contracts when cold, so I would think these measurements would be reversed.

:17::17::17:

Is my logic flawed or is this a mistake ?

always best to do adjustments when cold
but the clutch drum and compensator are the bits with the most expansion making the chain tighter when hot cold settings take account of this expansion

Brian

That makes sense.

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm going to recheck my measurements and hopefully I will be riding tomorrow:D:D:D

if the weather works well here ill be riding in the morning also
have a good one

Brian

I have a 2008 Softail Custom and it has the "automatic primary adjustment" No, inspection cover. Just how does this work ? Is it something that has to be done at the dealers ? How would you even check it without taking off the entire case ?

Any help will be appreciated

id do the adjustment when hot as thats when the primary chain is doin its work, and it will most certainly get tighter as it gets hot, if you do it when its cold it may be overtightened when hot, if you do it hot you can be sure it wont be too tight.

id do the adjustment when hot as thats when the primary chain is doin its work, and it will most certainly get tighter as it gets hot, if you do it when its cold it may be overtightened when hot, if you do it hot you can be sure it wont be too tight.

And if you do it when hot, the tolerances that you use for a cold engine will give you excessive whipsaw in the chain when hot.:s

Back