free website stats program primary chain adjuster | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

primary chain adjuster

Nice tips atm33.
I have a question, how much did your chain tension vary? I've read that it will vary but I didn't really think it could be too much. Last time I checked mine I didn't check it in different spots...maybe I should check again soon.

Yeah, I had mine adjusted and ready to button up, then I remembered to check in different spots and found that the place I had set it to spec was not the tightest spot in the chain (think I said "loosest" spot in my previous post, but meant tightest). It varied for me up to around 3/16" or so which was more than I expected. Had I left it alone, it would have been been tighter than spec at some points in the revolution of the chain, especially when it gets hot. Whether that's a big deal or not I really don't know.

Atm33 if you go to the touring section and look at "2009 primary mess" thread you will see why I am in primary. My stock hd adjuster was actually not too tight ,,but I have magnet grindings everywhere .I would rather have a manual adjuster, so now is the time.

Atm33 if you go to the touring section and look at "2009 primary mess" thread you will see why I am in primary. My stock hd adjuster was actually not too tight ,,but I have magnet grindings everywhere .I would rather have a manual adjuster, so now is the time.

I do remember reading that. Sounded pretty bad. Hope everything works out for you.

So after all my searching and investigating I went back with the newest version of the oem self adjuster for primary. Also screaming eagle compensator ..I've got a little over 2000 miles on it since I did the work and I like it .No unusual noises out of primary (there is a light clacking in them all) I am happy with my choice .IF that changes I will report back.

Back