free website stats program Primary Belt vs Chain Question... | Harley Davidson Forums

Primary Belt vs Chain Question...

Hoople

Account Removed
I have seen several custom choppers at Bike Shows that have these 4" primary belts instead of chains. Would it be a safe assumption to say that these bikes have dry clutches instead of the customary wet setups? I would also assume there is no ridding the friction zone on these bikes...?...

And a lot more rotating mass and they tend to grab your pants if your not careful

Yep it does look a little scary when you see the printing on the belt going around & around...GoodYear,,GoodYear ,,GoodYear..:p

My shovelhead has open belt primary. No compensator on the crank. Even slipping the clutch, starts are kinda "abrupt". At low revs in any gear, the firing impulses are noticeable. I prefer chain & compensator. :D

I was going to plead the case for belts.......but I got timed out or whatever and lost it in the shuffle.sorry,I'll have to give it another whirl later.

Seetwisted, no need to plead, plenty of HD owners who "had" or "--have had it with chains"...and are very satisfied owners of belt driven HD motorcycles. Had newer technology "O-ring" chain drive installed on all my metric bikes 'cept the shafty models. Have to say that the belt drive is a descent drive train method and some of the later models do have a compensator to "smooth out drive line shock".

No lubrication, maybe a couple of adjustments and if kept clean can last 30,000 miles or more...can't really say that is not as good as an O-ring chain...but certainly cleaner and lower maintenance. Shaft drive was also okay, never had the problem with unsettled suspension either...but then no motorcycle feels settled straight up or in a curve if chopping the throttle as an or improperly piloted or sorted out machine is more of a problem than the type of drive system...

I started out with belts when they came out,..there was an article in a magazine that was trying to explain it all,saying that you visualize a chain with all it's weight and friction creating parts moving in a direction and then very quickly changing direction. A lot of power/momentum lost to mass and friction that only increases at higher speeds...Taking this in comparison to a belt and I was sold.

This was all at a time we were running with tin primary covers and chain oilers that spewed oil everywhere. The first belt drive I tried was with the old Gilmer belts which had square teeth and I loved it. The pulleys wore out fast but they came out with the hard anodizing, then the steel inserts in the pulleys. Later, they came out with the metric belts and things were only getting better. From my own seat of the pants, I thought that I got more RPM, less noise, less vibration and it was a lot cleaner. I was always running an open belt because that's what was in style. I noticed sometimes a pulling on my pant leg and after having a few beers, I was looking for a little dog or something and could never find it. Then I realized it was just the belt. It would grab my pants and spit them out in succession so that it felt like something or somebody tugging at my pant leg. It was more amusing than scary.

The belts were about two inches and I or friends riding next to me never noticed the belt straining or stretching. I could pull wheelies even with a passenger up into 3rd gear and the belt never moved. I thought that spoke pretty much for their strength. Now in relation to the wide belts they run now, I think (personal opinion) that the belts are like the really fat tires, good to a point and just a fashion statement after that.

My current bike a '95 Dyna, that I got at a steal of a deal, I was pleased to find that it had a BDL belt drive with one of their clutches. The little experience I have with this newer unit is good. This time around I'm running it inside a primary cover, although I'm running it vented for cooling.

-Steve/Seetwisted

Back